Permanent

Francis zoned back in, and looked around him. Arthur had stepped through his portal. Now it was only the rest of the muttering nations that stood in the room.

But eyes definitely hung on him, and they glanced at Yao, and they flitted over Ludwig. But they ended up falling on Alfred, as he stood very still. His brother worried at his lip and his fingers curled in the side of Alfred's t-shirt.

"A- Al?" He whispered, tearing up as he looked for some sort of reaction from the American. But Alfred just seemed to stare right past him, his mind elsewhere. Francis swallowed a sob.

He rushed over to the two boys and put an arm tightly around their shoulders. It would have been like normal- they both tensed for a moment, but when Matthew relaxed into his touch Alfred didn't this time; he stayed rigid and frozen as the three sunk to the floor, just burrowing his face into Francis's shoulder.

"Oh, mon dieu..." Francis lifted their faces for a moment, looking at them with worried eyes. He rubbed a thumb almost roughly over cheeks that had begun to be tear stained.

"What are we going to do?" Matthew whispered to him, his voice wobbling. Alfred said nothing, seemingly staring into the distance over Francis's shoulder.

"It's going to be fine," he said firmly, running his hand through Matthew's hair. "We know that's not really him. He'll come back to us. Don't worry."

But Francis was worried. He hated the situation, and couldn't see a way out of it. But he shoved the thought aside and focused on his boys, and the one who was spacing out.

"Alfred?" He said quietly, cupping his soft cheek. "You okay?" Alfred blinked slowly, and bit his lip before looking into Francis's eyes.

"Y-yeah. Totally," he breathed. "Where's... uh... where's Arthur?"

Matthew grabbed his brother's hand tightly. Francis could tell from a mile away this hurt him, was hurting both of them.

"Don't worry," he whispered. "He will be back later, alright? I'll tell you when he's back, but for now you need to go home." Alfred needed to go back to his own country, rest, and recover. He just needed to get anywhere where the British Empire wouldn't be. Francis stood up and helped the twins to their feet, gently pushing them towards the door. "Mattheiu, you'll make sure he gets back safely, won't you?"

Matthew nodded firmly, his grip tightening around Alfred's hand. Francis smiled and pressed a kiss to his forehead. "Thank you. Take care of him and yourself, alright?"

Francis hated watching them leave, wanted to hold them in his arms, where he had always thought they would be safe, for hours and hours; but he knew it was best for them if they left. They didn't- no, Alfred didn't need to go through this.

"France."

A few nations who hadn't already left stood in the room, and Ludwig beckoned him over. "People are going to leave, but what do you propose we do? You... know him the best."

Francis nodded solemnly at the group. None of them really looked up, and the air was stiff and uncomfortable. People looked angry or sad, and Yao bit his lip as Ivan stood right over him protectively. He sighed softly and tucked a stray lock of blonde hair behind his ear.

"Oui. I will stay, he will probably come back here. I don't know what will happen, but I have to believe that he can come back." Ludwig nodded with confidence and approval.

"I will also help. I do not like to see him this way, or how everyone else sees him. He will realise himself again, don't worry." Ludwig looked strict, but Francis knew he was being soft when he said, "You can stay with Britain at my home down the road until this blows over, Francis."