Chapter eleven

Mary...
The Ball...
As we arrived our names were checked in. Before we entered the hall, I began to wonder how my name was in the list, but I figured John had something to do with it.
"Mary L?" I asked John, not wanting the 'L' to be what I was thinking.
"Well, I- I didn't know what your last name was so the L is....uh I probably shouldn't have- it was a last minute thing so-"
"it's okay John. My last name is Jarius or Jay, I like to go with Jay. "
"Okay Mary Jay" He said with a smile. I smiled back. Obviously.

Walking into the magnificent building, I couldn't help but admire the people walking in, dressed in an expensive elegance. Everyone looked amazing.
The ceiling was lit with beautiful chandeliers that gave the room it's golden illumination. Awe stricken, I tried to act like I belonged, because everyone else seemed to act like it wasn't something new. But who am I kidding, I've never been close enough to this! I'll just not make it noticeable, because I'll probably over do it, so ama just do me.

"Son where have you been?" a man who looked in his late fifties walked to us. He sure doesn't have John's eyes, well more like John doesn't have his, maybe its from their Mom, but the hair, Yup.
"Dad it's just a few minutes to 7pm, and it's a Ball not a meeting"
"It's a Gala son. Hi, is this one of your mistresses?" I tried my best to hide my annoyance at his remark.
"Really Dad? " John said to his father annoyed.
"I'm sorry, but it's pretty obvious you're not over Stella don't you think ."
"I'm over her Dad, it's been almost a month now, and this is my friend, Mary."
"Well I am really sorry....forgive my manners Mary, you look lovely"
"Thank you sir... " I said still a bit pinched at his remark but he apologized, I decided to
let it go.

"Hey Daddy" Alice greeted her father and hugged him.
"I've seen you've met Mary"
She continued.
"Yes I have, I'm not sure I gave a good first impression but-"
"you didn't." John cut in.
"John, no please it's fine, it was nice meeting you Mr Patterson." I said obviously not stopping the tension between John and his father.
"I already apologised son, and with the looks of it...she's a keeper. Nice to meet you Mary. " I smiled nervously and nodded.
"Your Mother is here....Certainly your mother, Alice and Mary are the only people who seem excited to see me. Well, have fun kids." With that he left.
I felt sorry for him with how his son treated him. He was rude to me at first but, it's not as hurtful when your own son seems to despise you.

"You know you didn't have to try to make him feel good" John said to me sternly.
"Ugh get a grip John, what happened to forgiving, clearly you've forgotten about that." Alice said.
The first time I heard her talk in a serious tone.
"I'll start forgiving when he starts changing."
"Can't you see he's trying. Change is a process, you should know that better than anyone."
"Trying? he just insulted Mary"
"really, it's fine John. Please." I said again.
"Give him a chance. How can you see change, when you don't believe there will be."  Alice scoffed, walking away.
After an awkward silence, I said to John,
"you should listen to her"
"you have no Idea." John let out a sigh and continued.
"Sorry about what my Dad-"
"it's okay, he apologized."

"Mom's this way, come on. " Alice said as she walked back to us.
We followed Alice, and butterflies began to grow in my stomach. Why am I So nervous to meet his Mom.
"Johnny, oh my baby, how have you been" she said as she hugged John.
I thought to myself, there are those hazel eyes...and also a blonde hair? Well an even distribution among the kids.
"I've missed you too Mom."
"So how's work?"
"I -It's good"
"I hope things have been good. Between you and your father? "
"Yeah.. A bit rough, but it's okay"
She frowned, then said,
"don't be too hard on him, he....he's trying."
"Okay Mom" John said as he hugged his mother.
"Forgive my manners, you must be... "
"Mary, she's my friend" John said.
"Well let the young lady speak for herself"
"I'm Mary, nice to meet you ma'am" I said.
"Nice to meet you too Mary. Maybe I'll get to know how you two met, but for the mean time, let's have fun." I smiled, thankful she didn't insist on knowing how we met.
"See you later kids, I have to meet some old friends."
"Later Mom." John said waving to his Mother.
"Where's Alice? "I asked.
"Uh... Maybe she's with her friends or Josh. Yeah but Josh can't even stand her so, he's probably avoiding her."
I smiled remembering Josh and Alice's argument.