Chapter 8

The doctor came out of the girl's room with a confused look and the nurse jumped up to get the news. "What'd she say?"

Checking to make sure the man who had been with the girl was safely out of earshot down the hallway he sighed. "I can't tell who's telling the truth and who isn't. She's certain they're not related. Instead she said she's here visiting with a friend of ... Ms. Barry."

The nurse gasped. "That woman doesn't take to children well. Like oil and water she always seems with them." As a great patron of many things Ms. Barry had been known to donate to the hospital, but her visits rarely strayed into the children's section.

"That's what she's claiming."

"Should we send someone over to Ms. Barry's home?" The nurse was already looking for a piece of paper to write a note on.

"I don't think we should do it yet. Don't want to bother the good woman yet with something as tall a tale as this." He hummed to himself for a moment. "She said something else about being adopted and living at a place called Green Cables ... no Green Gables I think it was. Let's send a letter there first. She'll need to stay a few days here anyway so there is no point in bothering Ms. Barry until we have sorted out the rest of her story."

The nurse nodded. She quickly penned a letter that the post man put into a pile, and the pile was eventually moved into corresponding bags. One of those bags eventually made it onto a post master's horse that went out to Avonlea. This man though didn't ride like the world depended on it. He carried out his job as dutifully as possible. He might have finished a little earlier if he hadn't had to stop and keep his horse from getting spooked when a passing wagon nearly ran him off the road. An elderly couple was in the driver's seat, the woman held her shaw in a death grip and the older man's bowler hat seemed to nearly fly off his head for how fast he'd whipped the horses up.

Of course the mail man didn't know those where the owners of Green Gables that he'd passed or that he could have saved himself a stop by delivering their letter then and there.

Oh well, he left the mail in the usual spot for them to find upon their return.