Ginny X Luna - 'Everybody Talks'

Written to Everybody Talks by Neon Trees

Ginny hadn't been up long, maybe two minutes when she traipsed down the stairs of the rebuilt Burrow only to be stopped dead in her tracks.

"Hi Ginny!" an overexcited blond girl smiled, a slightly dazed expression on her face as she waved at the confused Weasley.

"Luna? Luna Lovegood!" the twenty or so old witch yelled across the room, running at the other witch and engulfing her in a hug, "Merlin! What are you doing here?"

The blond girl's smile dropped and she shrugged her shoulders slightly, "Neville broke up with me, so I left." Ginny's face softened as she held the other girl closer.

"Oh Luna." she whispered into her hair, "Come and sit down, I'll make us some tea."

Luna smiled appreciatively before explaining she doesn't drink tea anymore because the narggles get into it and make it less paletable. Ginny giggled, glad that Luna hadn't changed a bit since they last saw each other and, as inappropriate as it was at the current moment, Ginny's feelings for Luna were beginning to re-emerge. The sort of feelings a girl feels for another girl when she doesn't want to hold her hand as much as she wants to pin her to a wall and snog her. You know, the sort of feelings you keep hidden when they're for your straight best friend. Yes, those feelings. Those were the ones Ginny was experiencing, and it was mortifying.

The two girls talked for hours, Ginny comforting Luna, who, for a girl who had just lost the supposed love of her life wasn't exactly inconsolable. When she wasn't being comforted Luna watched Ginny, smiling at how little the youngest Weasley had changed in their year or so apart; and yet, she had changed, they both had. Ginny looked older, more mature and pieced together and Luna looked older too, but in more of a flawless grace, beauty and confidence way.

Somewhere within the following five or so hours, Ginny had suggested some therapeutic baking which is how the kitchen ended up covered in flour. It was also how Ginny ended up staring at Luna, as she had many times before. This time however, there was a difference, Luna was aware of the staring and she had had enough of it.

"Is there something on my face? Have the narggles been at it again?" she asked as she continued to knead the gingerbread dough.

"No, there isn't anything on your face." Ginny said, diverting her eyes.

"Then why are you staring at my face?" Luna smiled at Ginny, a sort of dreamy, far away look in her eyes.

Ginny had had the confidence to tell Luna how she felt many times before, and she had told her too. However, this was the first time she'd mustered the confidence while sober, while, simultaneously and quite accidentally, Luna just so happened to be single. Heterosexual. But single.

"Because you're pretty." Ginny replied earning a small blush and a nudge from Luna.

"Thank you, Ginny, that's very sweet of you. You're a good friend." Ginny sighed at the daydreamer's response.

"That's not what I meant Luna, I meant you're pretty, like I want to kiss you pretty." Ginny stated, quite matter of factly as she cut little heart shaped out of the dough.

"Oh." Luna whispered, "But you're straight."

Ginny stared at her. Dumbfounded. She was stuttering over words to reply with. Luna thought she was straight? Her, Ginny Weasley? Straight? Sure, she straightened her hair on occasion but Ally Hills very much stands as living proof of the fact that straight hair does not equal straight girl.

"Y-" Ginny began, pausing for a moment to collect her thoughts, "You think I'm straight?"

"Are you not?" Luna asked, blushing with a distinct amount of confusion in her eyes.

Ginny rolled her eyes at the girl, pressing a light kiss to her lips and pulling away.

"No! Luna I'm a bloody lesbian!" once again Ginny kissed the former Ravenclaw who, this time reacted by wrapping her arms around the Weasley's neck.

"No need to shout it to the world, sister." the twins chimed as they walked through the front door, "Everybody talks."