chap 11

Chapter 11: The approval

Chihiro's POV

I sat by the front porch late at dawn the next morning. The autumn wind was chilly, and some of the sunlight touched my face. I still felt bummed about what happened yesterday. I wish they would understand how much I love Haku and how much I want to be with him.

I sat there staring at blank space, idly staring at people passing by the street in front of our yard. I was lost in my thoughts. I really don't want to hurt mom and dad. But, I already sacrificed everything thirteen years ago, just to be with them and to make sure they were safe. But now that I've found Haku, I.. I guess I just want to be happy being with him, and try to make up for all the years that we've spent apart.

I don't know what to do anymore. If I make one decision, it's either one will be happy and the other would be heartbroken. I don't want to hurt anyone, especially my parents and Haku. 'This is all so hard!' I thought inwardly. I have to make my decision. I have no choice, I'll have to take a risk sooner or later.

Meanwhile in the bathhouse

It was very early in the morning when everyone woke up to work. Nobody had the nerve to eat breakfast, if they took a break, Yubaba would go down and punish them. So out of fear, each and every staff struggled to work diligently. But for Ryu, who was new to everything, he couldn't help but make mistakes.

"You clumsy little rat! Look at what you did! That was the most precious tea set that I own and you broke it!" Yubaba screamed with seethe

"I-I, I'm so sorry ma'am. I didn't mean to-" Ryu said trying to apologize

"You're sorry couldn't replace this! Go to the ground floor and meet me there."

Obviously terrified, Ryu obeyed Yubaba's command. He immediately went to the ground floor and waited for her. Suddenly he heard a bell being rung and all the staffs running hastily to gather, half gathered on the right side of the lobby, and half on the left, leaving Ryu the only one standing in the center. Ryu could feel his body shaking with fear as he saw Yubaba moving towards him. She grabbed his arm tightly and looked at him with prominent anger on her face.

"This young man has done something terribly wrong. And now... he will be punished!" Yubaba said as she tried to enchant a spell on him.

Kamajii and Rin who was staring at each other, both felt pity for Ryu.

"Rin, let's help him, I don't want him to end up like this." Kamajii said

"But, what if Yubaba would turn us into pigs or coal?" Rin worriedly said

"We have to stand up to Yubaba, or else we'll be living the same miserable lives. You said you wanted to go out of here right? Well now's our chance."

Unable to reply to what Kamajii had just said, Rin immediately agreed. They both made their way through the crowd of workers and step forth to face Yubaba. Kamajii yanked Yubaba's hand away from Ryu, setting him free from her grasp.

"How dare you?!" Yubaba yelled

"We've been tolerating you for many years Yubaba. You treat us with fear and injustice. I suggest you step down from being the owner of the bathhouse. Everyone who agrees with me, now's your time to speak up!" Kamajii said with determination

Almost everyone of the bathhouse workers protested against Yubaba. Each saying 'Step down! Step down! Step down!'

"Shut up!" Yubaba ordered, but everyone still continued to protest "If you all don't shut up, I will turn you all into pigs!"