51

Victoria

I didn't want Ann to know any of it. The crime, Jack's death - the fact that I buried him myself. But Rio, boldly and fearlessly, told her of my doing, as well as his. And now, as I pace the busy halls of the Hospital, I can only wonder what Ann is going to do about all of it.... The moment I end my shift; that's when I find out.

In my scrubs, I walk up to my boss - who releases a deep breath the moment his arrogant green eyes land on me. I sigh, planting my feet next to him, and peer my gaze up to his tall, slender figure. "Mind if I end my shift a little early today? I've got errands and..." I trail off when my boss narrows his thick brows down at me.

"Absolutely not." Dr. Smith answers, rather abruptly. "Do you know how long it's been since you have decided to show up here?" He shakes his head firmly. "I don't think so. In fact, you can use up some time for extra hours." In turn, I hurriedly shake my head, boldly in refusal.

"I can't. I... I'll be busy." I run a tired hand through my merely disheveled hair. "And I know I've missed days, but I really can't work the hours this afternoon. I can cover the extra hours tomorrow? I will, you have my word!" I plaster a fake smile, before Smith sighs exasperatingly, and my wide smile falters.

"No, Stone. Now I'm leaving it at that." He confirms, and fixes his attention back onto the clipboard he grasps. I curl my lip, and a low frustrated breath escapes. I slowly turn around, before walking in the opposite direction of him to get to the ER. Now what do I do? With pursed lips, my feet keep kicking ahead of me - but I'm urged to turn back around. There is no way I can add extra hours onto my shift; Ann and I have to meet with Rio later to discuss...everything. It only takes silent, taunting moments before I spin on my heel, turning to face Smith again.

He's still concentrated on whatever patient information is noted on the clipboard he's holding. I suck in a breath, and make my way over to him, again. I watch his green eyes avert onto mine when I approach him. But he ignores me once I claim the floor in front of him, and instead he focuses on the clipboard again. I chose to clear my throat - before his curt eyes meet my own. I fold my arms against my chest, firmly. "I'm not working later, Dr. Smith." I state, and in turn, he lowers the clipboard and I gain every ounce of his attention.

"Just because you're always going to be this grumpy, miserable boss doesn't mean I have to follow by your standards because of your grumpiness. I mean, lighten up, I'm 99.9% sure that there are at least a dozen nurses that are willing to help me out and cover for me, especially given that it'll only be for a few hours." I glare at him. "But I simply cannot work this afternoon. I have somewhere to be, Dr. Smith." I finish.

Smith watches me with narrowed eyes, that is, before his green specks glint with...amusement? Oh, no. My boss raises his brows in surprise, beginning to nod his head. "Alright. You can get someone to cover for you. But that'll be your last time." He moves past me, dismissing himself before glancing back at me over his shoulder. "Let this be your last day, too. You can go turn in your RN ID badge now." He adds, curtly. Just then, my heart stops. I furrow my brows, and walk up behind him. "No, no, no. You can't fire me. I... I've worked here for years! And-"

Smith stops immediately in his tracks - my face slams against his back. I back away when he turns to face me - he vestures a serious expression. "You're fired, Stone." He confirms, his voice deep. I drop my jaw again. Smith walks away, and my pulse quickens.
"OK." I shout, causing for everyone in the busy corridor to throw glances in my direction. I clear my throat, watching Smith stop firmly again. "I'll work today, jeesh." I breathe. "I'll add on however many hours you want me to. I don't care, just tell me the hours." I find myself slouching over a bit as I stand in my scrubs, tired, and I quickly straighten the moment my boss turns around. His green specks meet mine.