Waiting

You hum quietly as you lay the human in the bed and tucked them in. You weren't sure what had happened before you had arrived,but you healed up their cuts and bruises they had. You glance back at them sleeping soundly in the bed as you close the door.

‘I wonder how she’d feel about a pie after she wakes.’

You go about the rest of your day as usual, humming as you make your classic cinnamon butterscotch pie. Once the pie cools you take a slice along with a glass of water to the humans room to leave there for when they woke up.The human looked her sleep had become less peaceful, sweat now beaded on her forehead and she tossed and turned in the bed slightly.

You decide to let her rest and head to your room to get ready to head to bed yourself. You have a restless night as the cries and whimpers from the human carry through the walls into your room. In the morning you check on her, you notice that the glass of water and pie slice are still untouched.

‘She must not have awakened during the night.’

The fact that she has not woken yet concerns you some but you choose to make your rounds of the ruins nonetheless. You decide to leave your spare cell phone on the bed stand for her, should she wake she could then call you.

You start your morning rounds checking on all those residing in the Ruins, you see the young Froggits playing with the bashful Whimsuns. You stop by the Spider bake sale and pick up some Spider donuts and a jug of Spider cider. You continue on breezing past the puzzles with ease and do your best not to disturb the ghost who has to decide to lay on the ground here. You come to a stop in the patch of flowers feeling the sun filtering in on your fur from far above. Looking around the small patch of flowers you notice a bag you figure must be the humans. You grab it and begin the trek back home.

Once home you check in on the human again, who’s still sleeping. You leave the bag you found by the foot of the bed and exit the room. Grabbing a few of the Spider donuts and a glass for the cider you head down the stairs to the entrance to the Ruins.

Within a few minutes of you getting settled on your side of the door you hear a knock at the door,you respond with a knock back letting your friend know you were there.

“Hello, how are you doing today?”

“Tibia honest I’m bone-tired, how bout you?”

“It’d be a fibula if I didn’t say that I feel the same way.”

You both chuckle at your puns and sigh.

“Not much sleep?”

“Something like that, just had a lot on my mind last night.”

“Well maybe I can help you take your mind off em.”

You hear two quick raps at the door and you know what’s coming next.

“Knock Knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Door Inspector.”

“Door Inspector who?”

You hear another two knocks at the door and after a moment you burst into laughter,your friend joins you chuckling from the other side of the door. You take a moment to gather yourself again and give two knocks on the door.

“Knock Knock.”

“Who’s there?”

“Broken pencil.”

“Broken pencil who?”

“Nevermind there’s no point.”

You hear him burst into laughter and you can’t help but laugh along. You begin to share jokes back and forth for a while before your interrupted by a scream from upstairs.

“Oh dear I just remembered something important I had to get done today. I need to go I’m sorry.”

“Its-”

You don’t hear the rest of what he says as you rush upstairs to the humans room to find the tossing turning tangled up tightly in the blankets. You reach trying console her and to work on detangling the blankets from around her body, after her arms come free you slow down having to avoid her arms that swing trying to hit an invisible target. After a few hours she's fully detangled and seems to have calmed back down. You sit on the floor leaning against the bed to take a breath, you end up falling asleep and don't wake until the next morning.

When you wake you see her still sleeping, much more peacefully now. You get up and stretch, leaving the room to start preparing for the day, and your rounds of the Ruins.

‘It has been two days and she still hasn't woken up, I hope she does soon.’

You quietly attend to the ruins, giving a small smile to its residents that are out and playing. After a short while you hard back home and decide to head straight down to the entrance of the Ruins. Once you reach the door you give it a small knock leaning your head against it hoping to hear a knock back.

As you slide to sit down you hear him knock back.

“I'm sorry for running off so suddenly yesterday.”

“It's alright, it sounded real important anyway.”

“That it was.”

He doesn't ask for any more on the matter and you don't say anymore either as you start sharing jokes with each other, but your heart's not in it today with your thoughts preoccupied by the human upstairs.

“Something on your mind today?”

“Could I ask something of you?”

You take a deep breath before continuing.

“If ever a human comes through this door please help them? Befriend them?”

Your mind races during the few moments of silence before he responds.

“Of course, I'll be the best pal they've ever had.”

You let out a sigh of relief. You guys continue to go back and forth with jokes for another hour or so before you both go your own ways. You smile to yourself as you head upstairs lost in your thoughts you turn to head to grab a bite to eat and stop dead in your tracks at the sight of the human sitting at your table.