A New Beginning Part 3

"Do you miss the surface?"

"Occasionally, but I cannot recall what the surface was like anymore, nor do I know how it's changed since we were forced down below."

You both sit in silence for a few moments, the snip of the scissors echoing through the room. You hear the soft clack of the scissors on the table as Toriel starts to run her hands through your hair and pulling it back checking for any unevenness, you feel your hair lifted to the side and dropped suddenly as you hear Toriel gasp behind you.

"Where did these scars come from?"

You stare down at your feet, hoping she'll take your silence as your answer. Toriel comes around to face you, but you don't look up. You don't want to think about the scars, you don't want her to see the pain that's hiding just behind your eyes. Toriel kneels down in front of you and lifts your head so you're looking her in the eyes.

"Where did those scars come from dear?"

You snap your head out of her hand, "From the surface." Toriel sighs as she stands back up.

"I understand, I apologize for pushing the topic. I will not make you discuss it if you do not wish to."

You whisper out a quiet thank you and continue to watch your feet until you feel Toriel behind you brushing out you your hair.

"I can braid it if you'd like."

"I uhm, I would like that very much."

A peaceful silence fills the room as Toriel braids your hair.

"How long have I been down here Toriel?"

"A few days. You were asleep for quite awhile."

"Hm, I wonder if anyone on the surface has noticed that I've been missing."

"I'm sure there are those that have noticed, but there is not much that can be done. There is no way out of the Underground."

"There's absolutely no way out? That doesn't seem possible, almost every place has an entrance and exit, even if they are the same thing!"

"No! There is no exit, and I'll hear no more talk of it!"

"Alright."

Neither of you speak as Toriel finishes braiding your hair, you wonder what happened before to make Toriel react that way, it seems unlikely that you were the first human to fall down here, but if that was the case where were the other humans at?

"There you go dear, all done." Toriel walks around you and smiles at you as she walks over to her armchair.

"Toriel, can I ask you something? Have there been other humans who have fallen down here before?"

"Yes."

"If they survived the fall, then where are they?"

"Do you want to hear an interesting fact about snails? Did you know that snails have no backbone?"

"I didn't know that, but Toriel about the-"

"It has grown quite late, my child I think I will retire to my room, you should do the same. We can talk more tomorrow." And with that Toriel quickly stands up and rushes off towards her room.

"Good night I guess."