Chapter Thirteen

My head whipped towards the door. Heart pounding in my chest, I slowly moved my hand over to the drawer that held my extra weapons, and silently pulled a hand gun out.

I strained my ears, seeing if I could hear any noise from the doorway, but there was nothing. For a few anxious seconds, silence crept through the house. Then came another knock. 

Well, crap. I scrunched my brows together. The only person who would bother me or know that I was here, was Henry. But Henry would call and tell me that he was coming. Wouldn't he?

I silently crept closer to the foyer, ignoring the voices talking on the T.V., until one particular noise rang out, and I swirled around, sucking in a breath at what had just taken place. 

There Jeremy lay, on the ground, pressing a hand to his side where a moment before a bullet had gone into. The other news anchors were screaming, calling for a paramedic, and a man, who I assumed was a staff member, based on the lanyard around his neck, was running off-screen with a gun in his hand.

 One lady was screaming, "He's dead! He's dead!" Over and over again, and my face paled, remembering what he said about how he protected his mother from the police. Now who would take over that job? But wait, hang on, how'd he get away from my father?

Suddenly the sound of gunshots surrounded me, and I flinched, diving behind the island as glass came cascading down around me. Breathing heavily, I looked wildly around, trying to catch a glimpse of whoever was trying to kill me. I heard a meow, and Catsby came limping around the corner of the island, a shard of glass stuck in his paw. 

"Oh you poor thing," I murmured, gently grasping his paw, pulling the shard out and then pushing him towards the direction of my bedroom, where he gladly ran to. My eyes snapped in the direction of the entrance way as I noticed that the sounds of voices had replaced the gunfire. 

Making a decision, I carefully crawled towards my bedroom, gun in hand, avoiding the glass. Reaching the room, I shoved my feet into my black combat boots, and my arms into my dark grey jacket. Hearing someone coming in though the broken window in the living room, I rushed over to my floor length windows, grabbing my emergency backpack on the way. Inside was an extra suit, weapons, a burner phone, a water bottle, cash, and an assortment of dry foods. Shoving Catsby out, I watched as he ran in the direction of the woods before re-gripping my gun in my hand and heading off into the woods in the opposite direction.

I knew when the others had finished searching the house and came up empty handed, because that was when the yelling started. I was almost to safety when I heard a voice that made me stop in my tracks. Crouching down behind a tree, I immediately grew pale at what I saw.

There, standing right on top of the flowers that I had painstakingly planted, was Psycho and Insanity, the two main doctor-scientists who had experimented  on me in that hell place. My fingers curled in as I restrained myself from shooting at them. Not here, not now. As much as I wanted to take them down, I needed to wait until all the scientists were together. I would  take them out, all of them, when the time came. 

I prepared to take off again when another face came into view. My heart plummeted into my stomach. Standing in-between Insanity and Psycho was none other than the director of my agency, Henry.  Rage swirled in my chest as I realized that this entire time, he had been working with them. Sending me off to bring in the drug dealers? Just a ruse so he and his friends could get three more human people to experiment on, or, as they liked to call it, perfect. The same ruse that he had given me and my old teammates. My nose scrunched up in disgust. Why hadn't I realized? 

"I can't believe it," I spat quietly, glaring at the man who I had gone to for everything for the past three years. I swiveled around, ready to get out of there, when I heard a snap from underneath my foot. Gingerly looking down, I saw that I had stepped on a branch, breaking it. And I wasn't the only one who noticed.