Chapter Twenty-Five

Agent 5's P.O.V.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I stared at the girl sitting across from me, the blue light from the computer reflecting across her dark skin. Long braids trailed around her shoulders, which she, annoyed, flicked back. Her eyes drifted up from the screen to meet mine. "What does it look like?"

I clenched my hands, but couldn't really get them into an actual fist due to the fact that I was still in chains. Standing. For three hours.

"I don't know, playing games on a computer while sitting in front of me? Being annoyed with your hair? Randomly staring into my face like I have the secret to immortality? Fun fact, I don't." I shifted on my feet, trying to wake the right foot up. I had tried hanging from the chains, but that hurt my arms much worse than you'd think, so I resorted to standing.

"We're trying to help you, idiot." She didn't spare me a second glance as she went back to doing, well, whatever she was doing on the computer, her fingers flying over the keyboard.

Ah, yes. We.

I dragged my eyes over to the cold concrete wall that William was leaning against. He was typing away on his phone, not even sparing me a glance when I cleared my throat loudly for the fifth time.

"You know, you're bound to hurt your throat if you keep doing that." He briskly turned his phone off and swept it into his pocket, finally meeting my gaze.

I threw my hands up in the air as best I could, which, well, wasn't good at all since, you know, they're still in chains, and tried to fix him with a piercing glare. "Why would you care? You're the one who's got me hanging here for the past three hours trying to "fix" me! News flash, I don't need to be fixed!"

He raised an eyebrow at that. "And why do you think that you don't need to be fixed?"

I groaned in frustration. "Because. I. Am. Perfectly. Fine. You. Idiot." Personally, I think he was the one who  had something that had gone wrong upstairs.

Will's lips shifted into a pout, and he crossed his arms over his chest. "Hey, now. No need to get mean."

I closed my eyes, exasperated. Opening them, I eyed him with a look that promised more than a little menace, and he at least had the brains to look cautious. "Let me go."  I don't need to be fixed! I just need to get back to the scientists, and, after a huge cup of coffee, because I was very, very tired, demand that they explain how the hell Will has wings. I know that they were the ones who did that to him, I just want to know why. 

Will scoffed. "Sorry, love, I'm going to have to pass on that." And then the arrogant little brat took his phone out again, and resumed his apparently full-time occupation of ignoring me.

My mouth hung open in shock. "Okay, one, I and not your 'love,' and two, didn't your mother teach you any manners?"

He perceptibly tensed, and I narrowed my eyes at the way his hands were now clutching his phone. Tough subject then, I guess. Well, it's not like I didn't have any parental problems, or anything, so I guess I can't judge.

Still ignoring me, he turned to the girl who had paused from her incessant typing to watch our interaction. Raising an eyebrow, he gestured to the computer. "Are you done yet?"

She scowled.  "No." And then promptly resumed typing.

Will aohhed angrily. "Trinity, I thought you said it wasn't going to take long." He walked over to where she sat, his leather shoes clicking on the floor, the sound echoing loudly in the otherwise silent space.

Huh. So her name was Trinity. I mentally stored that little hem of information away, in case it became handy to me later. As Will became engaged in what seemed to be a pretty heated conversation with her, I again examined my chains, hoping, praying, that there was something that I had missed, and perhaps could take advantage of to escape.

Since I had pulled one chain free from the wall, they had attached it to a metal beam that ran perpendicular to the wall. And low and behold, as I was examining that aforementioned chain, I noticed a tiny, almost imperceptible crack that was in one of the links. Jackpot.

Now for the other one.

Unlike the first chain, this was still attached to the wall, and appeared to be in really good condition. But maybe, just maybe...

Looking back to Will and Trinity, I noticed that they both were now staring directly at me. Returning their inquisitive looks with a blank stare, I began tapping my right foot on the ground. After a few seconds, they returned to looking at the computer screen, and I let a slow grin creep onto my face, as I glanced down at what would be my saving grace.

Mania is an inventor. He likes to dabble in wierd things, and while I mostly avoid whatever he is cooking up, I could refuse his gift of new boots to me. One., because that would be rude, and two, because they came with a surprise. And I love surprises.

See, if you tap out a certain beat with the right boot, a very thin, but very strong blade would slide out, ready for use. Now, I didn't know that metal could cut metal, but whatever the heck Mania did to this metal allowed to to.

"I got it!" Snapping my head up, I whipped my gaze over to Trinity. Well, crab cakes. Whatever she got probably wouldn't be good for me to get.

Acting fast, I let out a cry before heaving with all my strength, attempting to pull the broken chain out from the wall.

Will's eyes flared wide, and she shouted a quick "Trinity, hurry!" before dashing over to where I still stood, and attempted to stop me.

Squeezing my eyes shut, I continued to pull, and finally got the first chain free. Pushing up, I grabbed the still intact chain, and swiping my foot out, thankfully snapped it in half with a loud crack.

Landing back on the ground, I had a split second to enjoy my freedom before I saw a panicked Will racing towards me, his wings out once again, ready to re-chain me back up.

Oh hell to the no. Two could play that game. Making sure my wings were intact and well, usable, I glared them out, and once again pushing up, met him halfway in the air.

Grabbing my arms, Will tried pin them to my sides, all the while pleading. "You don't want to do this Ben! Please, we're trying to help you!"

I almost froze, confused, at the sound of sheer agony in his voice, but got my wits back together in time. "You have no right to call me that," I snarled, freeing myself from his arms and beating my wings as fast as I could to get to the door at the opposite end.

I veered down, reaching out with my hand, when all of the sudden, pain, terrible pain, erupted inside my head. Stopping short, I clutched my head with both hands, and screamed, tears leaking out of the corner of my eyes. Strong arms grabbed mine, and I could sense the worry and confusion coming from Will, when suddenly, everything stopped. No pain. Nothing. I dragged my eyes up to Will's as I took a shuddering breath and released it.

Then darkness claimed me as her own.

-

Will's P.O.V.

I watched, terrified, as Ben screamed, clutching her head with her hands. I caught her before she drop to the floor, my mind screaming at me to do something, but I didn't know what.

Then she stopped. I thought it was over, that we had fixed it, fixed her, but I scrunched my forehead as she turned to me, and instead of asking me who the hell I was, or anything like that, she took a shuddering breath before her eyes rolled back up into her head.

I panicked. "Trinity!" Racing over to her, I met her wide eyes with my terrified own. Placing my fingers on the side of Ben's, a chill went down my spine, and everything froze and went blank as I searched in vain something that wasn't there.

What have we done?

"She's dead."