Chapter Twenty-Two

Jake's P.O.V.

I stared at Ava, not understanding. She's the fifth agent? What does that mean? Something clawed it's way up from the back of my mind, but before it could reach it's destination, Tom spoke. 

"Okay? I mean, she calls herself Agent 5, but I don't see how you would know about that." Tom narrowed his eyes at them accusingly. 

Michael shifted on his boot clad feet. For the first time, I realized that they were wearing suits that were similar to our own, with the black, leather-like material with pockets on the thighs and chest. "Well... it's because we are like her."

My eyebrows inched towards each other, and I looked at Max. "We figured that out, but I don't understand how you tie in with her." 

Ava sighed, and reached into a pocket. I immediately tensed up, and pointed my gun at her chest. She froze, and Michael lunged in front of her, directing the aim of his gun at my own chest. Everything slowed down to a stop as we stared at each other, daring one another to make the first move. 

Ava slowly put her hands out in front of herself. "Whoa, guys, I was just getting a piece of paper from my pocket, I swear." 

I narrowed my eyes at her, then gestured at Tom with my head. He stood there, staring blankly at me. I rolled my eyes. "You're currently the only one who doesn't have a gun out. Go get the letter from her pocket."

His tan face blanched, and I swear his golden-brown wavy hair became limp. "You-I-...what?"

I glared at him. "You heard me, askhole." I switched my gaze to Michael's, who was, it seemed, looking intensely at me, but gaze me a slight nod of approval. 

Tom's face quickly became the color of a ripe tomato and scoffed, grumbling under his breath, but he stepped forward nevertheless, giving Ava an apologetic glance. 

Kara's indignant voice was heard. "Excuse me? Aren't you going to ask Ava if it's okay? What the hell guys, she's the one who has the pocket you're going to be putting your hand in, Tom." She glared disapprovingly at him, as if greatly annoyed by his inconsideration. "People these days, jeez."

My own cheeks reddened at her reproach. But I could see her point. Clearing my throat, I spoke softly. "Sorry. Ava, may he...?"

Ava just raised an eyebrow at me, as if greatly amused by my reaction. She gave a quick nod, before mouthing a 'thank you' to Kara. Kara, in return, dipped her head stiffly. They might stand together as females, but coming from two different agencies, they were enemies. 

By now Tom had reached Ava, and was blushing so furiously it looked as if a tomato had replaced his head. 

Hesitatingly placing his hand into Ava's pocket, his face scrunched up until his fingers grasped something, and he retrieved a piece of paper. The faint smell of lavender reached my nose, and a cold sweat broke out on my back. 

Max smelled it too, as he looked warily at the paper, tightening his grip on his gun. "What is that?" 

 Ava nodded at Tom, who ripped open what was now apparent to be a letter. Meeting my eyes, he began to read. "Invisibles," he spoke, then cleared his throat and continued. "We see that the four of you have found each other. Very well, then it is time for us to put our final player on the table. We hope that you know what you are doing, for as they say, 'if at first you don't succeed... try, try again.'" Tom looked up letting the hand that held the letter fall back to his side. "Love, your family."

I tensed, feeling my heart beat faster. "That's the same thing that Bentley's letter said. 'Love, your family.'" I looked, really looked, at Michael and Ava. "The scientists got to you both as well then, I guess."