PROLOGUE

The night was silent. A single star stared down at the silent Earth, questions racing through his mind.

"Mirfak," he began, catching the attention of another like him, "who is going to go after him?"

"Do you mean Dubhe?" Mirfak asked. "If that's the case, I am unsure."

The star stared down at the Earth still. "What will happen if he does not return?"

Mirfak sighed. "Regulus, you don't understand much of this, I assume. If a star goes down to Earth without consulting others about it, they must return."

"How do we make them return?" Regulus asked. "Dubhe's been down there long enough."

"Someone will have to make him return. If he refuses, he will die," Mirfak responded.

"Die?" Regulus questioned. "We'll kill him?"

"If he refuses," Mirfak said. "As stars, we have jobs. We can't just suddenly disappear. He will have to face his actions with punishment."

"But who will do it?" Regulus asked. "Who will go after him?"

Mirfak did not respond for a moment, but after hesitation, he replied, "I am not sure."

There was silence between the two. Regulus continued to gaze at the Earth. It was a strange place, of course. He knew that stars that left to Earth usually took forms of humans, but he did not know much more.

Maybe it could be an opportunity to take.

"What if I went after him?" Regulus asked, catching Mirfak's attention again.

"You, Regulus?" Mirfak responded in shock. "I'm not sure I'm comfortable with that. You're so close with us from the Perseus constellation, and if something were to happen to you down there..."

"If something could happen to me, it could happen to any of us," Regulus responded. "Let me go."

"But do you know how dangerous it is?" Mirfak argued. "The people down there are not used to us or our power. You would have the strengths of a regular person and the weaknesses of one as well. In addition, Dubhe is very strong, being from a well-known constellation. I don't want you to get caught up with him."

"I'm from a strong constellation as well, though," Regulus defended himself. "I can fight him. I'll be able to return safely with Dubhe or his empty spot in the sky."

Mirfak hesitated again before replying. "Promise me you'll return. Promise all of us as a friend that you won't let anyone take your life down there."

"I promise," Regulus responded. "I promise I will return safely with the objective complete."

"Then go," Mirfak said. "I, Mirfak, have witnessed your vows and course of mind, and I entitle you with the objective of descending to Earth to retrieve the fallen star, Dubhe."

Regulus nodded slightly. He had been granted permission to go to Earth. This was it.

As his star shone brightly, a swirling light appeared around him, and he stared at Mirfak as he began to descend to Earth, a human body forming around him as he neared the atmosphere. Only when he was miles away from the ground did he take his eyes off of his friend to face the luscious Earth that he would collide with.

A/N:

This story is the backstory of one of the characters, Regulus, from the book series I'm publishing on Amazon. This story is basically me expounding on how the real story will go - after I finish the series, I plan to write longer single books on the backstories, which is what this contributes to. This book in particular will hopefully be a graphic novel. Even though book 4 is not published yet, the main character of this book appears in book 4, so I have titled this book 4.5. There are no spoilers to the main plot in this book besides a slight insight of why Regulus acts a certain way.

Anyway, I really hope you enjoy this book and the series itself, "The Assemblage of the Stars," and I encourage you to read the whole series! Thanks for reading this, and new parts will be updated soon!