09

9
More Than Friends

KENDALL SNORTED and took another sip of red wine. "These Tyler Perry movies just get crazier and crazier."

"But you have to admit, they are pretty good," Phoenix replied.

Phoenix had insisted to Kendall that she'd come over and they'd get to know each other better. Now the two were in Kendall's apartment, already on their second bottle of cabernet and knee-deep in Tyler Perry films. 

Kendall was starting to take a liking to Phoenix. She was so independent and strong-minded. She was also incredibly straight-forward.

Kendall stood up from the couch and stretched. "I think there's some more chocolate in the kitchen."

Phoenix downed the remaining dark maroon fluid in her glass. "Yeah, you should go get that," she said, nodding, focusing her attention back to the laptop screen.

"Be right back." Kendall walked into the tiny kitchen, automatically beginning her hunt for whatever type of chocolate she could find. She was a chocolate junkie. There had to be chocolate somewhere.

She got on all fours and stuck her entire head into her designated candy cabinet. Kendall's phone began to ring on the counter above her, causing her head to fly up and hit the cabinet's door frame. She muttered a swear word under her breath before taking her head out of the cabinet, then lifting it up.

Rubbing the spot where she hit her head, Kendall picked up her phone to see a number she doesn't recognize. In a millisecond, she remembered giving Ryan her number earlier in the day. She waited for the phone to ring twice, then answered it.

"Huh. It took you longer than I thought."

"It took me longer than you thought for what?" Ryan questioned, an amused smirk evident in his voice.

"To call me," Kendall clarified. "I was giving you until noon, tops."

Ryan let out a deep, breathy chuckle that never failed to make Kendall's heart flutter. "Believe me, I would have called sooner but I got stuck at work." He remained quiet for a moment before speaking again. "Listen, I actually called to ask you something."

"Okay. Shoot."

"I have a movie premier on Friday and I'd love it if you would accompany me."

Kendall bit her lip, weighing her options. The press was exactly what she was trying to stay away my from. But if she wanted to be a singer, she might as well get used to it. She also really liked Ryan, and her dad was always telling her to follow her heart.

"I would, but I have nothing to wear."

"I'll handle that," Ryan assured. "Skip work tomorrow and I'll take you shopping. You won't regret it."

Kendall bit her bottom lip in an attempt to stop the wide smile that was already forming on her face. "All right."

Ryan was seated on a pastel pink chair inside of a designer store. He was patiently waiting for Kendall to come out of the fitting room.

Before they even stepped foot into the store, Kendall had protested against Ryan buying her a designer dress. Ryan continued to insist until Kendall eventually gave up. But even though she agreed, Kendall was still uncomfortable with Ryan spending money on her.

After what seemed like centuries to Ryan, Kendall finally exited the fitting room. She was clad in an elegant evening dress. The sheer sleeves and bodice were encrusted with rhinestones and red beads. The dress' plunging neckline displayed Kendall's cleavage, which Ryan was not too fond of. The evening gown also had a burgundy stretch crepe skirt, along with a similar outer skirt.

Ryan became completely captivated by Kendall. She truly was one in a million. And the dress made her look like the queen that she was.

Kendall grinned at Ryan's astonished expression. "Do you like it?"

"Wow," Ryan muttered, unable to form a complete sentence.

Kendall laughed. "I'll take that as a yes."

A store employee approached Kendall while making big, dramatic hand movements. "May I just say that I love that dress on you," he raved. "I can take your measurements right now if you'd like."

Kendall nodded and the employee got to work. He gestured toward a circular fitting platform that was surrounded by three massive full length mirrors. Kendall stepped onto the platform and noticed the employees name tag, which read: "Ambrose".

Ambrose pulled out his measuring tape and recorded Kendall's arm measurements. "I saw your interview Saturday night," he mentioned, briefly turning to Ryan. "I knew you two were more than friends."

Kendall chuckled awkwardly as Ryan cleared his throat. She couldn't deny that they were more than friends, but she wasn't exactly sure of what she felt for Ryan yet.

During the time they've known each other, Ryan and Kendall had become great friends. But there was this electricity- almost like a sexual tension that grew between them every time they were together. Kendall could feel it, and she was sure Ryan could feel it too.

Once Ambrose took all of Kendall's measurements, Kendall changed out of the dress and handed it to Ambrose. "The dress will be ready by Wednesday," he stated. "You can pay for it when you pick it up."

"All right, have a nice day," Kendall said, walking out of the designer store's revolving doors. Ryan followed close behind her.

Once they reach Ryan's Range rover, Ryan opened the passenger seat door for Kendall. He shut it, then got into the driver's seat. Ryan looked through the car's rearview mirror and sighs.

"What's wrong?" Kendall questioned.

"There are paparazzi behind us."

Through the side view mirror, Kendall could see about ten men and women standing out on the sidewalk with cameras. A few ran up to the vehicle and frantically tapped on Kendall's respective window. They hollered questions at her, which only sound muffled due to the glass barrier.

Ryan started the car and slowly drives forward, cautious of the people who were now swarming the car. He managed to leave the paparazzi behind, then began to drive at the normal speed limit.

"Sorry for that," Ryan apologized.

Kendall gave Ryan a small smile, taking his hand and intertwining her fingers with his.

It was a small gesture, but the action made Ryan's heart soar nonetheless.