23

23
With Me

EVERYTHING WAS right in Ryan's world. He was with Kendall in her bed, watching her sleep soundly next to him. Even in slumber, Kendall was stunning. The early-morning sun's light poured in from the sliding-glass door and shone on her sleeping face. In Ryan's eyes, Kendall was ethereal. Everything was perfect. Kendall was his and he was hers.

And he was determined to keep it that way.

Kendall stirred in her sleep and opened her eyes halfway. Ryan gave her a soft smile. "Good morning."

Still groggy, Kendall muttered "good morning," and turned away from Ryan, her eyes slowly closing again. Kendall had never been a morning person. Her body had been programmed to stay up and sleep in.

Ryan cuddleed Kendall from behind, leaving soft kisses on her neck and shoulder. He was almost like a child; always in need of constant attention. He'd become used to people caring about him, so without attention from the only person he cared for, Ryan didn't know what to do with himself.

"Why are you so touchy today?" Kendall asked softly.

"Because I love you."

Kendall rolled her eyes as a slight smirk graceed her lips. "That's a lame excuse." Her eyes closed again, then almost immediately shot open. "Shit," she said, getting up quickly. "I was supposed to be at work five minutes ago."

"Call in sick."

Kendall looked at Ryan as she pulled a clean shirt over her head. "I can't call in sick. I need to pay rent."

"I could pay it for you," Ryan suggested, causing Kendall to raise her eyebrows at him. "Or not."

Ryan watched as Kendall slipped into a pair of black jeggings. "Why do you still work when you're a signed artist?"

"Because I don't actually make money until the album comes out." Kendall headed into the bathroom and brushed her teeth, then walked back out to take her keys off the table. "There's an extra key in my desk drawer, so you can lock the door when you leave," she said, giving Ryan a quick kiss on the cheek. "Bye."

"Bye," Ryan called out as Kendall closed the door.

Ryan buried himself under Kendall's puffy white covers, engulfing his senses with Kendall's sugary vanilla scent. Maybe he'd stay for a little while longer.

"I quit my job," Kendall blurted as she sat on a bar stool, watching Ryan chop bell peppers.

Ryan set the knife in his hand down. "What? Why?"

"To put it briefly, my boss groped me."

Ryan nearly choked. "Are you serious?" He formed fists with his hands behind the counter. "What did you do?"

Kendall put her cheek on the cool marble countertop. "I slapped him." Her head jerked up. "And then he had the audacity to try and fire me as I was quitting."

She put her head back down and groaned. "I don't know what I'm gonna do." She shrugged. "I guess I'll just starve and be homeless."

"Or you could move in with me," Ryan suggested.

Running a hand through her hair, Kendall sighed. "I don't want you to feel like you have to let me live here."

Ryan shook his head, walked around the counter to Kendall, and took her hands in his. "It's not like that at all. I've actually been thinking about it for a while."

"Are you sure?"

Ryan walked back around the counter and briefly rummages through a drawer. He pulled out a key then slid it across the counter to Kendall. "More sure than I've ever been."

Maria rolled over in bed, her long black hair cascading perfectly over her shoulder. Kissing Phoenix's cheek, she asked, "What's wrong?"

Phoenix sighed. "I'm worried about Kendall." Although she was still mad, Phoenix couldn't help but worry about her best friend. She knew that Ryan was bad for her, but Kendall had refused to listen to her warnings. Every day Kendall had seemed to be less and less herself. Every day she fell deeper and deeper into Ryan's trap.

"I'm sure she's fine, babe."

Phoenix cringed. "You know I hate when you call me that."

Maria laughed softly as she kissed her girlfriend again. "Why don't you call her?"

"If I call her, I lose," Phoenix responded, causing Maria to roll her eyes.

"Kendall's a strong woman. I'm sure she'll be fine."

"She'll be fine," Phoenix repeated. She'll be fine, she'll be fine, she'll be fine.

Her mind believed it, but her heart didn't.

Author's Note

First, thank you for 58.7k reads. Second, thank you for patiently waiting for this update. This is just a li'l transitional chapter to set things up for the next.

Lots of love,
-Bri