20

20
Made For Each Other

NO ONE could ever be prepared to hear the news that Kendall had just heard. Things like this could come up completely unannounced. One minute everything could be fine, and the next, all hell could break loose.

Kendall walked through the hospital in long strides. She was extremely tired due to lack of sleep, but that didn't matter. It didn't matter that they were broken up. All that mattered to Kendall was seeing Ryan and making sure he was okay. She knew that he was still alive, but it felt like he was dying. When Kendall had heard that Ryan was in the hospital, her heart sank to her stomach. The sound of her mother and father arguing had turned to white noise.

After what seemed like an excruciatingly long climb up multiple flights of stairs, Kendall made it to the ninth floor and into Ryan's hospital room.

That's when she saw him, hooked up to an IV, lying still on the hospital bed. The side of his forehead had been bandaged with gauze. Seeing him in this state pained Kendall. She couldn't have ever imagined Ryan lying weak and unconscious in a hospital bed.

Kendall took Ryan's limp hand and brought it to her lips, immediately breaking down. Her life was in shambles and there was nothing she could do about it. Her mom was sick, her parents were divorcing, and Ryan was in the hospital. Nothing seemed to be going right for Kendall.

A woman, who Kendall assumed was Ryan's mom, walked into the room. Her face was almost similar to Ryan's, aside from a few features. "He's been asleep for hours," she said, an expression akin to sadness written on her face. "Apparently my son was attempting to contact you when he crashed."

Kendall was speechless. It was her fault that Ryan was in the hospital. If she had just stayed in LA, then none of this would have happened. If she had just listened to Ryan, then she wouldn't feel the huge lump of guilt in the pit of her stomach.

"I'm so sorry—"

Ryan's mother held up her hand. "It's all right. You should go home and rest," she suggested. "I'll call you as soon as he wakes up.

"Are you sure? Is there anything I can do?"

"I'm sure. Right now you should go get some sleep," Ryan's mom repeated.

Hesitantly, Kendall left the hospital, only to find a mass of paparazzi outside. Rolling her eyes, she walked to her car as multiple men and women took pictures and hollered questions about Ryan's condition. She ignored them and slipped into her car, wondering how people could invade other's privacy for a living. She found the paparazzi to be pathetic people who linger around celebrities as if they were animals in a zoo.

Once she finally got to her apartment, Kendall left her suitcase by the door, deciding that she'd unpack her things when she needed them. She sat on her bed and fell back, unable to sleep due to the guilt that was now consuming her. Knowing that she could be responsible for Ryan getting into an accident made Kendall feel sick to her stomach.

She laid awake, sobbing quietly and waiting for her phone to ring and cut through the thick silence in her apartment. Finally, around noon, her phone rang beside her.

"Hello?"

"Ryan just woke up, and he's been asking for you. I think he's a little confused due to the head trauma."

"I'll be there soon. Thank you," Kendall replied promptly, hanging up.

"Hey," Kendall greeted as she entered Ryan's hospital room. "How are you feeling?"

Ryan smiled weakly, pulling himself up in the hospital bed. "Better now."