Chapter 16

Arin also decided now was a good time to tell me she was going to be going to a different job. She would be working with  . It was like being kicked in the gut. Arin and I would never be together. She was going to be with someone else. Some rehab girl. My self-esteem was plummeting. I told Arin I was looking forward to being single, that I needed to be alone, so I could find myself. I told her these things but inside I was screaming "let's find a place together! Arin I love you! We could be great together!" All of which I never said.

I went house hunting with the bestie who had let me stay with her. All the while she was telling me not to go. She wanted me to stay and I knew that, but I needed to find myself for real. And find me a good woman...

I filed for divorce. I think that was the hardest thing I've ever done. We left the baby out of it as I had already told Joey he could see the baby anytime. I knew Joey was a good dad and I would never keep Lil' Man away. We did four days on- four days off.

It took me a while to find a place that was affordable. I was a single mom. Life is expensive. Joey always took care of things like that. Moving in was bittersweet. A place of my own. Mine. My home.

Arin's last day of work had snuck up on me while I was consumed with what I was going through. I couldn't believe it was her last day. Rachel had called in which was good for me because it meant I wouldn't have to compete for Arin's attention.

The first time I got Arin alone she hugged me. I felt all the stress and worry about how we would be leave my body. She squeezed me tighter to her. I ran my fingers through her hair like I had always did when she held me. When she let go of me, I felt like a part of me was leaving.

The phone rang and I smiled at Arin as I walked over to the phone. I bent over the counter to answer the phone, and I felt Arin come up behind me. She ran her hands up my sides to my bra and then back down to my butt while I tried to concentrate on the person on the phone. Her touch turned me on like Joey never had. I don't think she will ever know what her touch did to me.

The entire day was like that. We would sneak off and she would touch me all over. She would make it very hard to work at all. However, she never kissed me and I never kissed her. I couldn't risk the rejection. She was still talking about Alex as well, so I felt like I should bow out gracefully. When she left we had a very platonic hug and I stole her name tag. A keepsake I still have.