V : USELESS, THAT AIN'T IT

CHAPTER FIVEUSELESS, THAT AIN'T IT( damaged and numb )

CHAPTER FIVE
USELESS, THAT AIN'T IT
( damaged and numb )

"YOU SHOULD HAVE LOCKS ON YOUR WINDOWS" brooklyn heard five tell the frightened vanya from the safety of a cupboard. after their encounter with the commission employees at griddy's, five had taken it upon himself to sneak out and away from the strawberry blonde — something she didn't allow.

therefore, just when the boy thought he'd escaped from brooklyn's protective clutches, the girl snuck out after him, to which her actions landed her hiding in one of vanya's cupboards. her eyebrows were knitted together sharply as to why her long time partner in crime would hide something from her. why would he rather tell number 7 and not her?

"i live on the second floor" vanya countered in a know-it-all tone, letting her bag plop down on one of the couches beside her door. she proceeded to hang her coat on a sharp surface. she, then looked at her brother, her eyes warm as they fell upon her beloved sibling.

"rapists can climb" five deadpanned, making brooklyn facepalm from her place in the dark and shadowy closet. looking like a 13 year old sure had its' perks. from a slit on the cupboard door, she had full access in the spectacle before her. a slick and smug smirk slipped onto the boy's lips momentarily, before vanishing and returning back to his usual blank expression.

"you're so weird" vanya claimed with a low chuckle before, letting her eyes trail over to the boy's arm. "is that blood?" she asked worriedly, eyes bulging out of their sockets in anxiety. number seven had always been close with five, though never like brooklyn.

"brooklyn got out with a shot wound, this is nothing" the boy retorted in a hurry, his mind glazing over and his eyes pricking with tears in rememberance of the incident. he rushed to blink away the tears and the horrid memories.

brooklyn felt heartwarmed from her hiding spot, seeing how much he seemed to care for her well being, though that didn't change the fact he had disappeared 17 years. if he truly cared, he wouldn't have left her in the first place.

"why are you here?" vanya concluded, a small sigh escaped her lips. her gaze caught brooklyn's and just when she was about to talk she noticed the girl's sly movement — her finger to her lips — telling her not to talk in a cryptic manner.

"i've decided you're the only one i can trust"

"what about brooklyn?" vanya hurried to ask in confusion. never had there ever been a secret that the two hadn't shared. number five and number zero, partners in crime, attached to the hip, until the boy disappeared that is.

"brooklyn is really sneaky, highly qualified, powerful and all but she always puts others before herself something that'll put her in danger. and if there's one thing in this world i can't bare seeing is watching her get hurt because of me.. not again" he admitted darkly. his words hit a bell in vanya's head who understood. he was in love with her. he was in love with brooklyn.