6

The job was simple. Norma would arrive at seven o'clock to go over the list, then check newcomers in until lunchtime. She would stop around twelve and be on break for an hour, during which time she would visit Dylan and feed Norman. She would come back afterwards to start cleaning the vacant motel rooms, then go back to pick up the boys around seven thirty.

   Mrs. Summers allowed her to be boarded at the Seafairer for "as long as she needed." She was a kindly gray-haired lady with firey green eyes and a no-nonsense attitude; Norma got along well with her. "Those children of yours are lucky," she told her one day, "to have a mother such as yourself. You don't give up-- that's what I like about you."

   It wasn't to say that life was always perfect, or that Norma didn't get frustrated. In fact, she chided herself for spending more time yelling at Dylan than holding him close. There were a few times when the noise got too loud, her eyes were too tired, and the pain came back to her again- she would lose her temper then regain it, apologizing to those around her.

   She rarely saw Alex, and when she did, it seemed that all he wanted to do was ask questions. "No, I haven't seen him," or "she hasn't been here," was usually her answer, but there were a few occasions when Norma recognized the face in the picture and was astonished at what she was told.

   Within a month of being at White Pine Bay, she came to realize the terrors that enveloped the seemingly-normal little town. It had all started when Alex Romero popped into the office asking about Keith Summers. "What happened to you?" she asked, noting a clean-cut slice above his left eye.

   "It's not important, I just need to know where Keith is," he told her.

   "Well, I haven't seen him...I don't know what to tell you," she replied, seeming ever so concerned about his injuries. "Why don't you come inside and let me fix that up?" she asked.

   He pulled away. "I appreciate the offer, but I don't have time."

   Norma had finished being gentle. She reached for the collar of his shirt, catching him off-guard as she pulled him towards her thin frame. "I'm tired of this grumpy, expressionless "I'm a big, strong deputy" crap. I'm taking care of that cut, and if you're patient enough, Keith just might show up."

   The deputy didn't argue. He was somewhat surprised to see that Norma had a key to Mrs. Summers house and casually asked where she found it.

   "It was given to me," she said, pulling the key from the lock and placing it on the table in the foyer. "There's a first aid kit in the kitchen, if you'll follow me this way," she said, directing him into the kitchen with the air of a perfect hostess.

   She pulled a kit from the older woman's medicine cabinet. "What got you all banged up?" she asked, still wondering why Alex was asking for Keith.

   "Oh, nothing much. Just got in a fight with a guy at the bar," he lied. He hadn't been to any bar. The deputy had been driving his vehicle near the outskirts of town when he was pushed off the road-- his airbag had deployed, almost breaking his nose. He pulled himself out of the vehicle in a hurry, and was socked in the face by a man in a suit. The man was blonde, with glasses that were framed with thick, black plastic. Alex got him in a chokehold, asking what he heck he thought he was doing. It was then that he had spotted a young girl in the backseat of Abernathy's car-- he was distracted and the stranger disappeared within an instant.

   A card had fallen out of the man's pocket...it directed Romero to the Motel, where Norma was currently swabbing the cut over his eye.

   He watched her expression change as she studied him carefully, taking in each crevasse of his face. Her hot-red lips pursed and her brow set with determination as she wiped the blood from his cuts and filled a bag with ice to place over his eye. He smiled.

   "Oh my," she said, sighing.

   "What?" he asked, suddenly worrying that he might've been hurt worse than he thought.

   "You smiled. I thought your face was paralyzed."

   "Uh-huh...I'm pretty sure I didn't smile."

   "You don't agree with anyone, do you?"

   "Oh, like you have any room to talk."

   "At least I don't--"

   The door slammed shut, making Norma jump. Romero's hand moved to his sidearm reflexively. "Norma, are you here?" a familiar voice called. Alex calmed.

   "Yes, I'm here," she called back, walking into the foyer to meet their visitor. He had Norman in one arm, Emma in the other, and Dylan by his side. Norman started to whimper.

   "I'm sorry to disturb your work, Norma, but I can't seem to figure out what's the matter with Norman," he said, bringing the baby towards her. Norman let out an ear-piercing scream.

   "Oh, it's fine-- Oh, my, Norman, what's that all about?" she cooed, bringing him in close to her.

   "It's normally no problem at all, but he's been crying for a long time. I've kept an eye on him and checked his diaper...he seems fine, physically."

   "I just fed you a little bit ago," she said, directing her gaze to the crying child. At first, she thought he'd calm-- he only screamed louder.

   "Will he need a ride to the doctor, you think?" Mr. Decody asked.

   "I'm not sure," she said, then turned to Alex. "Sorry that I couldn't help you further," she started, "but you're free to stick around if you want to wait on Keith."

   He shook his head. "I'd better get going," he replied, nearly yelling over Norman's tears. He felt a pang of guilt at not offering advice to the young mother...he'd never had children. "If he does pop in, try to get him to stick around, will you? I really need to speak to him."