16

Will Decody picked up the phone for what felt like the millionth time that week.

   It rang on the other end. And rang. And rang. And rang. He swore under his breath, grateful that Emma wasn't around to hear him. Eventually, someone on the other end picked up. His breath hitched in his throat. "Audra, is that--"

   He was cut off by an angry woman exclaiming that she was not Audra. He started to apologize, yet she kept yowling in his ear, no matter how profuse he was. "Yes, Ma'am, sorry for the mixup." He hung up. In his hand was a piece of paper on which two phone numbers were scrawled. He decided it was finally time to try the last one.

   "Hello, this is Will Decody. Yes, I'm sure I've called here before. I'm looking for Audra Decody, is she there?"

   The tennant informed him that there was no one under the name of Audra on their list. He sighed. "Thanks anyways."

   He hung up.

   Emma started coughing again, and he made his way to her room quietly. "Hey, Sweetheart, are you okay?"

   "I'm fine, Dad," she told him, glaring at him over her book. "I was fine the last two times you checked."

   "I'm sorry. I'm still getting used to this."

   She sat the book down. "Have you talked to Mom?"

   He scratched the back of his neck, trying to appropriate his words. "She...hasn't answered. I'm sorry, Em. I know she loves you, she's just--"

   "She's got a funny way of showing it."

   He stood there, in momentary silence, watching his daughter. After he was satisfied that she was okay, he walked away.

   He began cursing Audra mentally. How dare she walk out on their daughter, when she needed both  of her parents the most? Not only would it be mentally and physically supportive of her, but financially as well. He was lucky that the hospitals were letting him make the payments he was making. The doctors were lucky to have found a treatment for his daughter, even if it was only temporary.

   Her new confines aggravated her, that much he could tell. She was only seven, after all, and would hardly be able to do some of the things her peers so loved to do during the summer. She would always be stuck here, reading her book.

   He considered their lack of weekend plans for a moment, then smiled a little. Perhaps he could do something to cheer up that long face.

   "Emma, you remember Norman, don't you?"

   "Yeah," she called. "We have the same classes."

   "He's having a birthday party tomorrow, and I think it would be nice if we both went. How about that? I'm sure they'll have ice cream and cake."

   He could imagine her pulling the book away from her face in excitement. "You mean it? You think I'll be okay to go?"

   "I don't see why not."

   He glanced from his work to look back at her. She had a wild grin on her face, and was barely keeping her nose in the book. "We'll need to get him something for his birthday."

   "We can go this evening, if you'd like."

   "I'll go get ready," she said, throwing the blankets from her legs.

~                                                                                                                                                                                                  ~

   "Dylan, Norman, breakfast is ready!"

   Norman was the first to thunder downstairs. "Morning, Mother."

   "Good morning, Honey. How are you feeling?"

   "Good. Well..." he paused. "I have to present my project to the class today, and I'm a little worried," he stared down at the floor.

   She smiled. "I'm sure you'll do fine. You're a nice boy, people seem to like you. Just-- make sure you speak up, so the whole class can hear you." She got louder with every word, as if that would be the best example for him.

   Alex trodded downstairs. "Norma,"

   She glanced over at him. "Alex?"

   "The sink's ran over again."

   "I thought you fixed it yesterday?" she questioned, her face falling as she scooped eggs onto their plates.

   "I thought I did too, but...it's worse. The bathroom floor was a mess."

   She sighed. "I'll see if I can pay someone to fix it today." Her expression changed to confusion as she directed her gaze to the stairs. "DYLAN! Time FOR breakfast!"

   "He's reading some magazine."

   "What magazine?"

   "Something one of the other boys in class found. He seems really interested in it."

   "Alex, can you go--?"

   "Yeah."

   There was a commotion upstairs, and a few minutes later Detective Romero appeared, waving around the magazine in question.

   "Get that thing out of here. DYLAN, if you don't COME DOWNSTAIRS!"

   "I'm COMING!"

   Alex took his place at the table. Dylan stomped downstairs.

   "Where did you get that thing?!" Norma asked.

   "What thing?"

   "She means the magazine," Norman interjected.

   "Brody let me borrow it."

   "Brody? I don't think I want you hanging out with Brody anymore."

   Before Dylan could answer, a horn was blaring outside.

   "You'd better go, before you miss the bus!" Norma told them, passing Norman his backpack. She kissed him on the forehead. "Good luck with your project."

   "Goodbye, Mother!"

   "I'll pick you up at three, okay?" She waved to both of them as they got on the bus, then ran inside, shivering from the cold.

   "I gotta go," Alex said, standing from the table. He dotted her head with kisses, then her cheeks, and continued until he got to her lips.

   She pulled away from him moments later. "Do you want me to bring you lunch today?"

   "Ah, actually, I think I'll be having lunch with Brody's father, if you know what I mean..."

   Norma rolled her eyes. "Well, I'll be down at the Motel until you get back," she kissed him again, then watched as he left.

   She was left alone with a wandering mind.

   Norma walked down the steps of their house and towards the motel. She was reminded once again of Joyce's blood on the rocks, and she squinted, wishing the memory would fade from her mind like the blood had faded from those rocks.