20

"Norman, who are you talking to?"

   His blank countenance fell. He blinked, staring at Emma for a moment. "What?"

   "You were talking to someone," she told him, pushing back a lock of her long, brunette hair. "Who were you talking to?"

   He smiled. "Oh, you know, it's nothing. I just-- talk to myself sometimes."

   Emma knew he was lying, but decided to go along with it. The expression on his face was as humble as could be; it was hard to believe what she had seen a few minutes prior.

   He had been in an intense conversation with someone, although it seemed that no one was really there. A few passersby glanced at him like he had gone insane, while Emma just stood there, wondering what to do. Norman was talking in what he must've thought was a low whisper, waving his hands as he spoke. "I don't understand it! You have no reason to be here," he paused, as if someone interrupted him. "You should be in jail, that's where you should be. The only reason you didn't is because of the Sheriff--" and he stopped himself short, there, as Emma really did interrupt him.

   They walked to class. Norman was sitting at the third row down, beside Emma and in front of Bradley.

   The blonde-haired, brown-eyed, bombshell of a girl bore holes into the back of Norman's head, until he finally turned around to smile at her.

   Emma forced herself to pay attention to the teacher, just so she wouldn't go insane. If she had seen the way he was earlier, she thought, she wouldn't be so eager to get into bed with him.

   She scolded herself, knowing that she shouldn't have been thinking such things. Norman was clearly having some personal issues, whether his family knew about it or not. A part of her considered going to talk with Norma or Alex, although it would be hard catching them alone, and she would feel horrible if Norman's business got out to the rest of the town.

   Her thoughts were cut off when she watched Bradley pass a note to Norman, right under the teacher's radar.

   Emma huffed.

   "Is everything alright, Ms. Decody?"

   Every eye was on her as Mr. Montgomery spoke.

   "Uh..." her eyes darted nervously from the paper in Norman's hand, then back to the teacher, considering whether or not she should say something.

   Before she could really make a decision, Mongomery noticed, and snatched the note from Norman's hand quite suddenly.

   Someone at the back of the class laughed.

   "Party at my house. Seven o'clock," he paused. "Bradley." His gaze drifted to a fidgety Bradley Martin. "To the principal's office, both of you."

   Norman shot an incredulous glance at Emma, who was just as surprised at Montgomery's sudden observance.

   "Thank you, Emma, for bringing this note to my attention."

   The young brunette squeezed her eyes shut.

   Lunch was going to be miserable.

~                                                                                                                                                                                                 ~

   "Are you crazy? You got me sent to the principle's office. They're all probably sitting at home right now, wondering where I am!"

   "You know what? I'm tired of your crap, Norman. I've been following you around, hoping you'll notice me, trying to keep you out of trouble, and you're yelling at me," she paused, wiping her eyes. "We've been friends for years, Norman. I don't know..."

   He suddenly felt incredibly guilty, yet he pushed the feeling away. "I didn't ask for you to follow me around," he replied coldly, before walking home alone.

~                                                                                                                                                                                               ~

   "Oh, goodness, Norman, where have you been?" his mother asked. She was sitting at the bus stop, in near-darkness, worrying herself over him.

   "I was...hanging out with Emma," he told her, sitting comfortably beside her.

   Norma glanced up at her taller son, and brought her hand through his hair. "You and Emma are still good friends, huh?"

   He nodded. "Yes."

   "I'm glad. She's a sweet person, Norman. Really sweet. You should bring her around more often," she said, leaning closer to her son.

   "I'll invite her to dinner sometime."

   Norma's smile faded.

   He pulled away from her, gazing into frightened, blue eyes. "Is something wrong?"

   "Oh, it's nothing serious. Just-- I have something important to tell Alex, and...I'm not sure how he's going to feel about it."

   "How bad could it be?"

   "Oh, it's not bad, Norman. A little scary, but not bad. It's just, in the past, this hasn't really gone how I'd hoped."

   "Are-- are you sick?" he asked, speaking past the frog in his throat. In spite of all the dreams, he still hated the idea of his mother leaving them behind. He got a little misty-eyed, until Norma replied.

   She chuckled. "No, Norman. I'm not dying. I'm pregnant."

   He twisted away from her, knowing that the surprise must've been showing on his normally-somber face.

   "It's alright, Norman. You're not going to hurt me," she told him, taking his hand.

   "Why don't you want to tell Alex?"

   She shivered. "Norman, you know Alex-- isn't your father...biologically," she paused.

   He stiffened. "You told me that my father was dead."

   "He is," she assured him, although her voice lacked its usual confidence. "When I told him that I was pregnant with you, he just-- stared at me, and shrugged, and said, 'Okay.'"

   "That was it?"

   "That was it. I mean, I wasn't expecting any grand party or anything, but I thought he would've been a little more..."

   "Excited?"

   "Yeah."

   They sat in silence for a few minutes, gazing at the stars above them. Norma sighed. Norman placed his arm around her, drawing her close. She laid her head on his chest, and her tired eyes started to close.

   "It doesn't matter what Alex thinks. If he's not excited, well-- I am. I think it's great."

   Her eyes were brighter as a smile formed from one cheek to the other. "Thank you, Norman."

   "I love you, Mother."

   "I love you, too, Norman."

   They sat there until the moon was high in the sky, it's round beam of light glowing ominously above them. Norman was surprised that his mother would fall asleep in such an uncomfortable spot, yet instead of waking her himself, he decided to carry her inside.

   He lifted her weight, holding her carefully against him. They passed under the Motel sign, the light falling over her limply-hanging body. Her face was tinted with a dreadful blue color that made her look dangerously lifeless, and Norman entertained a terrible thought.

   He pushed it away, saving it for a more appropriate time.