10.

Quinn rushed out of the Ilvermorny common room at 10:55pm, as it was almost 7pm in New York and she was going to be late. She had to meet Ben.

Ben Lin. Her best friend. A no-maj, just like her Dad. Ever since she was a child they had been best friends. Him and his family owned a little cafe in the middle of brooklyn when her family moved into the little building next to it. The families became friends instantly and after a few years made the decision to join the two buildings and make it into a big diner that soon became the heart of their neighbourhood. It was called 'Emerson and Lin', not a creative name but it did the job.

The buildings were completely joined and both families lived in the two upstairs apartments, so Quinn and Ben had always been ridiculously close.

When she found out she was a witch, she couldn't hide it from Ben. They told each other everything.

She told him when she found out about her powers, he told her when he had his first crush on a girl, she told him when she had her first crush on a boy, he told her when he first realised he was bisexual, she told him whenever she had a big fight with her sister, he told her when he first kissed a boy...etc etc, you get the gist.

But she hadn't seem him since the summer, and a lot had changed even in those three months. She would have to tell him about James.

What would she even say? She couldn't say she had a boyfriend, because that wasn't really true. They were just making out. But that made her sound like a slut and she wasn't a slut!

This was annoying.

Were they dating? Were they just friends? WHAT THE HECK WAS HAPPENING?

As you can tell, it caused Quinn to get slightly frustrated. Only slightly.

She got to the courtyard and exhaled to calm herself. She raised her wand, shut her eyes, and concentrated.

She turned to apparate...

and then fell on the floor?

What?

Why couldn't she apparate??

She felt tears spring to her eyes in panic. She had to leave! She would be late, and then Ben would be mad, and then her mom would be upset and she hated it when her mom was upset oh merlin...what was she going to do?

And then, a tap on the shoulder.

Please be James please be James please be James.

Oh, it was Eli. That's fine too.

What's wrong? What on earth are you doing? He signed to her.

I have to get back to New York, my mom's sick, She signed frantically.

Were you trying to apparate? He asked.

Of course I was! She signed in panic.

You can't apparate from Hogwarts, everyone knows that, Eli signed amusedly.

Well obviously not me, dickhead, She violently signed.

Okay I'm sorry, He grinned at her.

Where did you just come from? She asked.

Had a meeting with Mr Bowie about the tournament, Eli dismissed.

Okay, Quinn signed, I'm panicking. How do I get out of Hogwarts to apparate?

I can fly you to Hogsmeade? My broom is down by the quidditch pitch, Eli signed.

That would be great! She smiled gratefully, and excitedly jumped up and hugged him.

She pulled away and before she knew it he was kissing her. Her mind went blank.

Okay what?

He was kissing her.

Eli, her best friend, was kissing her.

It was warm and his lips were soft and all that but, it wasn't James.

After a moment the shock wore off and she pushed him away.

What the fuck, Eli? She signed accusingly.

Sorry, I don't know why I did that, Eli signed.

Can we just go? We'll talk about it when I get back, She told him.

Okay, let's go, He nodded, pursing his lips awkwardly.

Oof.

They set out, walking awkwardly beside each other to the quidditch field.

What just happened? They kissed?? Why did he kiss her? Why is everyone kissing her now-a-days...okay so it might have been only two guys in three months but for Quinn that was a lot, okay?

They walked through the night, the cold December air stinging against their bodies as they walked through.

Once they had gotten to the quidditch pitch and Eli obtained his broom, he handed it to her. He was met with a look of confusion from the girl now holding the broom.

It makes more sense if you go alone and take it, then you'll be able to get back to Hogwarts when you arrive from New York again. Remember we have a match against Hogwarts next week so you need to be here, Eli signed to her.

She nodded slowly. Okay, she could do this.

She mounted the broom and kicked off into the night to Hogsmeade.

As she did so, she was completely unaware of the heartbroken Gryffindor she had left behind who, in the middle of running from a prank he and his friends had set up, saw that kiss that really should never have happened.