Chapter 14: Married Life

A year has already passed. Peeta and I are as happy as we could be, he has definietly made me an excellent husband, even though we're married we don't change around each other, we're the same from before only thing that we do that we didn't before is dance when we listen to our soundbox that plays music from the Capitol but also Peeta likes to kiss my hand on top of my two rings that we're both placed by him. Haymitch grumbles that we should dial down the "lovey dovey" eyes at each other which we obviously just ignored, Haymitch doesn't fool me because I see him smile at us when we give each other the look he complains so much about.

Since our wedding Gale visits much more and has been mending his relationship with Rory as best as he can, it's gotten better but still really rocky and needs some more smoothing down. On a better note, Gale and I's relationship has gotten better and we've just started becoming hunting partners again whenever he visits and of course stuck by what he said he would, he is playing nice with Peeta which I was happy about, even more surprising, Gale talked to Vick sternly about how to act around people who try to help and are close to the family, it surprised both Peeta and I but made dinner with the Hawthorne's much better and a little less awkward than they use to be.

I never realised how much people's opinions change once you get married because the people who use to give me wary looks now offers me a polite nod or smile which again is something that's weird. I'm definitely new to that sort of thing so it took me a while to get use to it whereas it was easy for Peeta because he's just a polite and kind person so it was easy for him although I have had encounters of women in the hob who somehow think we relate on some level because we both are married, it's hard to bark a comment at them when they start comparing their husband to Peeta, even adding in the occasional comment of Peetas good looks or well built body which just gets me irritated and puts them right on my look out radar.

I complain to my mother on the phone about it sometimes, she reassured me that it sounds harmless or that they were trying to get me to laugh but I wasn't laughing, talking about how my husbands cooking wouldn't be the only thing he's good at at home is seriously stepping over the line, she's lucky I didn't have my bow and arrows. I eventually even told Peeta which he laughed about and tells me he gets similar encounters, even with hormonal teenage boys, I was surprised when he told me because even now I don't know what about me is so appealing? I know I'm not drop dead gorgeous, I'm actually quite average looking if you ask me although Peeta has something else to say about that.

The hob like always is filled with singles, couples and running children, the stalls are bigger and there's even been sitting places added where people can sit down and chat or even eat. I approach Greasy Saes stand with a smile, she finishes serving someone before walking around, leaving her granddaughter in charge for a moment and she hugs me

"How are you girly? How's married life treating you?" She grins, I shrug

"Not much has changed really. Besides other people" I reply

"I've noticed. Some girls causing you grief?" She chuckles

"Maybe... not a big fan of them complimenting Peeta in a way that they shouldn't, even if they are trying to joke" I reply, Sae rolls her eyes

"You pay no attention to them. I find it very disrespectful to be saying silly things about a woman's husband" Sae says quietly so only I could hear and I nod in agreement

"Thanks Sae. I should let you get back to your stand, thank you for the talk" I say

"Anytime, Katniss" she smiles and gets back to her stew stand, I walk out of the hob with a sigh and head back to the victors village. I get inside the house I decide to go into one of the spare rooms, the one with all of Prims things still in it, I shut the door behind me and look around the room but all it's doing is making me feel numb and heartache... her hairbrush is where she left it, her clothes still in draws but all of this just makes me frown because so much has happened and she's not beside me to witness it all, she should've been, I sadly smile at the stuffed toy my father had once made her, a goat and I hold it to my chest.