16

Loki brought his shield arm up in preparation for another fight. The footsteps slowed, and he could hear two sets of them. Two people. He sighed in relief; at least it was not Agmundr and Eydis. But with his injured leg, it still wasn't a wise idea to try and face them.

Jumping up, Loki grabbed part of the net that still hung above his head and yanked himself up, pulling himself up out of sight – hopefully. Sticking his feet in through the rope squares, Loki climbed higher, drawing himself further up.

Rounding the corner were two giantesses, who clattered by beneath him. Loki continued to climb the net like a ladder, his shield occasionally getting in his way and his injured leg causing him some difficulty. But he kept going, resolutely gritting his teeth against the stabs of pain.

The net was large, and the ceiling of the tunnel was high, but Loki kept ascending it. Keeping his movements silent, he gripped the net with one hand and slowly reached up to touch the ceiling. He didn't know why, but he was curious to see how this net had been set.

The ceiling was solid and cold. Feeling around, Loki found where the net was anchored to the wooden beams. His fingers hit an unnatural groove in the rugged wood. With a frown, Loki traced the abnormally smooth groove and his eyes almost popped out of his head. He jerked back from the wood and the net swayed violently as his weight tipped backwards.

Loki swung his free arm back as he tightened his grip on the net. It took several minutes for him to regain his balance, and then he reached up to touch the beam again. He had to feel around for a couple seconds before finding the groove again, and his fingers outlined it once more. Sure enough, it was what he thought it was.

It was a Yggdrasil rune.

Loki drew back, fear sweeping through him. The Yggdrasil rune was the most powerful – and most scarce – rune in the Nine Worlds. Even Odin couldn't wield it. And here it was, inscribed in the wood of Utgard.

Loki drew in a deep, shuddering breath, and almost jumped out of his skin when he heard noises down below. The two giantesses were coming back.

"A dead end," one of them complained.

Loki waited for them to pass by before allowing himself to comprehend exactly what the presence of this rune meant. Skrymir was even more powerful than he had ever thought. Then any of them had ever thought.

Loki clambered down the net, dropping lightly to the stone floor. He felt a fear that he had never felt before. If Skrymir had the power to wield a rune that even the Allfather couldn't use... that didn't bode well for Asgard.

It didn't bode well for the Nine Worlds.

Footsteps sounded in the corridor up ahead and Loki jerked in that direction, bringing up his shield. Judging by the sound and frequency of the footsteps, only one person was barreling his way this time.

Fortunately, it was only Skadi. "What happened?" she demanded as Loki lowered his shield in relief.

Loki briefly explained about Agmundr and Eydis and his retreat down this dark corridor. Rubbing his leg, which was stiffening, Loki then gestured with his shield arm up to the ceiling. "There's a Yggdrasil rune on one of the wooden beams."

Skadi's eyes almost popped out of her head. "A Yggdrasil rune?" she repeated, her face the picture of shock. "Here?"

Loki nodded. "It's engraved there."

Skadi ran her fingers along her braid, drawing deep breaths. "If a jotun, of all beings, can wield a Yggdrasil rune...."

"There's so much more going on here than a tournament," Loki mused. "This isn't entertainment for Skrymir – this is a way to test us."