23

Walking through the streets of Asgard, without a heavily armed escort, for the first time in a thousand years – it was strange. Nothing had changed, and yet everything had.

Loki recognized every single thing on the walk from Gladsheim to his own hall – and yet everything was different. The millennia he was gone had brought many changes to Asgard, changes that had both destroyed his ability to recognize it and yet, had also enhanced it.

Some of the great Aesir halls had been renovated. New fences built. Different flowers planted. One of the roads had been redone. The stones beneath his feet on that particular street were smoother than they had been before. The stretch of unfinished wall surrounding Asgard had been built up and finally completed, strengthening the defenses.

Sif stared at Loki as he passed Bilskirnir. She was absolutely astonished seeing him pass by free of guards. Thor, standing behind her in the yard outside their hall, wrapped his arms around her waist and whispered into her ear, "I told you, didn't I?"

Loki's step quickened as he neared his hall. The large doors loomed before him as he vaulted over the stone wall and raced up the steps to the doors. He paused there, hand pressed against the cool, ancient wood.

Sigyn was in there. But she wasn't waiting for him. In fact, he didn't know if she even wanted him back. But he had to try. He had to try.

Pushing the doors open, Loki stepped into his own home for the first time in forever. Nothing had changed here, besides the mustiness that came from years of disuse – but he could tell that Sigyn had started to clean up the dust and cobwebs. It had the appearance of beginning to be clean.

Loki stood still for a moment, listening. He heard nothing. With a frown, he started into the great hall. If Sigyn was here, he knew exactly where she would be.

Just as he thought, she was in the wide windowed room that flanked the back of the hall. It was her favorite room in the entire place. From here you could see the arcing sky, sliding down towards Midgard and up towards Gimle, the heavens. Because of Loki's heritage, his hall was on the edge of Asgard. Although it had been a rather isolating gesture, Sigyn had always loved the view.

She stood now, gazing out the window at the fiery rays the setting sun had jetted up into the sky. Loki stopped in the doorway, unable to believe he was here at last. He had completed his task. He had gained his pardon.

He now had to plead Sigyn for her forgiveness.

Pain throbbed suddenly in his five open chest wounds, sending a chill through his bloodstream. He sank his teeth into his lip to prevent himself from gasping.

And that was when Sigyn turned around.

Her eyes widened on seeing Loki, whose hand was pressed to his chest. Her skin was pale, telling Loki that she had spent her entire time in Asgard inside their hall. He could see the tearstains on her cheeks, and this time, he knew why she had been crying.

All Loki wanted to do was stride across the room and cup her face in his hands, take her into his arms. But he knew that would be pushing his luck, so he just stayed in the doorway.

"I know," Loki started, taking a deep breath and straightening, dropping his hand from his chest. "I know I have never treated you right. I know I forget about you, I know I worry you. And I know I've caused our family unspeakable pain."

Sigyn just continued to stare at him, her eyes full of sorrow and pain.

"But," he continued, moving into the room and risking a step towards her. "I have always loved you, from the first moment I saw you. I hope you know that. I think you do. But I'm so bad at remembering to say it.