Epilogue

The gleaming expanse of the Bifrost extended before Loki and Thor, arcing down towards Midgard. The blue, yellow, and red strands glowed invitingly, beckoning to the pair to hurry up and start down it in search of adventure once more.

Loki glanced over at Thor. "Thank you," he said. "For helping me search for Vali."

Thor didn't look at him. "I'm doing this for my sister, Loki. For Sigyn. Not for you."

Loki sighed inwardly. Thor tended not to refer to Sigyn as his sister anymore. Mostly from his anger at her marrying Loki. But this reference seemed to suggest that life in Asgard for his family could get better. And Thor's volunteering to help him find Vali just seemed to cement that view.

"What are we waiting for?" Thor asked gruffly, staring down the Bifrost intensely, like somehow enemies would appear on the rainbow bridge at any second.

"Nothing," Loki said. "I was just thinking that this reminds me of the old times."

"The old times got you in trouble," Thor stated, finally looking at Loki and raising an eyebrow.

"True," Loki conceded. "But it still reminds me of all those adventures."

"Ragnarok is coming," Thor said.

"That's rather off topic," Loki observed. "But yes, it is."

"Whose side are you on?" the god of thunder asked.

Loki considered his answer, absently touching the hidden wounds in his chest. "Sigyn's," he answered finally. "Now, are we going to look for Vali, or aren't we?"

Thor sighed. "Yes, we are. Are you ready?"

Loki nodded affirmation.

"I'm ready."

Together, the two comrades started off down the Bifrost and into the new era of the Nine Worlds.

And Loki heard his mother's words in his head as he walked beside Thor for the first time in over a thousand years: Life is unpredictable.

It certainly was.