22 ~ So much to see

Yogyakarta and surrounding area, Indonesia

I woke up before my neighbours this time. Even though I was tempted to make a little noise out of spite, I crept up of my room with a backpack full of supplies, including a poncho I tracked down yesterday. Our security guard stood at the front gate and waited with me for my ride to come.

Guntur, the older man with the motorbike, showed up fifteen minutes later with a helmet for me. I had ridden bikes before, mainly from one bar to another when Thai friends of ours had offered short rides. I'd never attempted such a long trip before, but was ready, wearing the only pair of jeans I owned in Asia as well as runners for protection.

It took an hour and a half to get to our first destination, which wasn't Borobudur Temple, but a viewpoint where we could watch the sunrise surrounded by others who had the same idea. I paid both of our admission fees on his insistence and we waited. The sun hadn't broken the horizon just yet, but the sky was lighter than it had been as the bike had climbed the hill on the way up. Mount Merapi, one of the most active volcanoes on the island and another mountain stood tall opposite us.

Between the two sat Borobudur Temple, small as a bug, until the humidity transitioned into fog and blanketed the valley and temple. The sun rose to the right of the volcano about thirty minutes after our arrival. Shutters clicked as photographers snapped away at the haze obscured sun. The weather wouldn't allow a stunning view or photo, but we stayed, sipping tea and coffee until the crowds died down. Guntur informed me that July was the ideal time to visit, when the sun would rise exactly between Mount Merapi and the other mountain, and the skies were clear.

The next drive was shorter and as we arrived in the monstrous parking lot, filled with cars and school buses. I knew today would be a busy day. Guntur warned me that I'd likely be asked to be in many pictures since I stuck out with my dirty blonde hair and fair skin. He also told me more about how earthquakes took out his business in 2006 and that was why he'd been finding clients at the restaurant since then, hoping to rebuild one day. The conversation continued over a quick breakfast that didn't quite live up to its name of vegetable omelette. Guntur waited outside while I went to line up for the temple.

I used my student card to get a discount like Guntur had advised and knocked the foreigner price down by fifty percent. Thank goodness for cards without any sort of expiry date!

I made it down the path to the temple, following large school groups who would cast looks my way every once in awhile. Borobudur Temple came into view with a large rectangular base that rose up in six levels. It was like a pyramid that someone had cut halfway up and placed a large round stupa atop. A staircase brimmed with children, youths and teens as they looked around, pointing and shouting in excitement.

Hardly a few steps up the temple staircase, the first request to be in a photo came through. With a smile I agreed, oblivious to what I had just done. 'Picture', although singular in request never had that connotation. It took a minimum of five per group as everyone needed one on their phone or camera. If one group had stopped me, another one or two waited on the side, already knowing that I agreed to be in photos. This continued to the point where it took me forty-five minutes to make a two minute climb to the top.

Sure, I could have said no, but it was more fun ducking around corners to the sides that seemed to be less frequented. Merely an illusion. At the top level, I met a Korean man given the same treatment as I. We met as the locals wanted a group picture with both of us. I joked that if I had even take 1000 Rupiah a photo, I could have paid my 95 000 Rupiah entrance fee at least once over and he just laughed. At least I wasn't unique in drawing the local's interest, any non-Indonesian attracted plenty of attention.