Fairy Tales // Jeff Skinner AU

"I swear, there's a fairy living in my house guys." Jeff said.

"That's probably the psychedelics you were taking at the time." I didn't know the name of this one. He didn't live here.

"I've never taken shrooms or anything like that."

I was able to keep myself hidden for over a month until I was reckless. One night, Jeff brought home some dessert that looked really good. I thought he had gone to bed so I was about to help myself to some chocolate cake and that's when he found me.

He screamed. He screamed like a child.

I turned around and looked at him with chocolate over my face. "Oh shit." I can make it so that people don't see me, but when no ones around it's much easier to not be hidden.

"What the-"

"Alright Jeff. It is Jeff, right?"

"Y-y-yes." He stuttered. He didn't know what to say or do at this point.

"I'm Brina. It means protector. Now may I please get out of your fridge, I'm a wee bit cold." He reached out to grab me and I flew over to his table.

"Why are you here?"

" I was sent to protect you from the evil that is coming."

"Really?"

"No dumbass, I wasn't sent. I just kind of ended up here and felt like I needed to stay. Not to protect you, per se. The only thing you need protected from is the girls you've been bringing home."

"Oh well how long have you been here?"

"How long have you been finding glitter?"

"Almost two months."

"That's your answer."

"What are you?"

"I'm a fairy. One of the good ones." He kept asking me questions until he needed to go to sleep.

"So you'll be here in the morning?"

"Yeah that blanket on your couch makes a great nest.  It's where I sleep most nights."

"Where do you sleep other nights?"

"I don't stay here I go out and... mingle. Good night Jeff."

I lived with him throughout the season, hiding whenever there were people around. Making sure there was no glitter around the apartment when a girl was being brought home. If one ever was. He wasn't exactly one of those "fuckboy" types.

One day I was tired of eating his leftovers so I changed into my human form and made myself food. When Jeff walked in again, he screamed just like he had the first time.

"It's just me, Jeff."

"You're a-"

"Yeah I can do this sometimes. I made spaghetti." I thought he was going to pass out so I splashed some water on him.

"Your wings?"

"Yeah don't you think it would be weird if a 5'1 grown ass woman had wings? Me too. So I got rid of them." I put my food on a plate and started scrolling through my social media.

Yes, fairies have social media. We're just like regular, shape shifting, magical people. Us being magical is the only difference between us and humans. We still have boy problems. Especially when we end up falling for someone that is not our kind.

"You can't just-"

"Jeff, lay down some boundaries. I will gladly follow them."

"Actually, I was wondering if you wanted to go to a game. As a fairy, or as a human now." He looked nervous asking me. I'm sure I was slightly more intimidating as a somewhat attractive human standing in his kitchen.

"Yes, tell me when and where and I'll figure out the rest."

"Wait, do you have money?"

"My parents are very wealthy business people in the human world. I have a trust fund."

"Trust fund fairy?" Jeff grabbed himself a plate and dished up some food before sitting back down and asking even more questions. "So if you are a human, can you still leave behind glitter?" I waved my hand at him, covering him in bright pink glitter.

"Everything I do as a fairy, I do as a human. Except, I can't get drunk. And drugs don't work on us. Which has saved my ass a lot."

"So you've been drinking my wine and you don't even get drunk?"

"You have really good wine."

I got to the game and immediately bought a jersey and a hat. I wasn't sure where my seats where, but when I found them I was impressed. They were on the glass right where Jeff and his teammates were warming up.

As soon as Jeff saw me, I waved. I was really excited to do something other than fly around Buffalo unseen by the human eye. Jeff and his teammates were talking about me. I could hear them, but I wasn't going to let them know.

"Who is that?"

"It's a long story."

"Banging her?"

"No, stop." He was smiling and his cheeks were red. Anyone would be able to tell he was embarrassed. Well, if they were listening into the conversation like I was.

He had two goals and wanted to go out to celebrate the win afterwards.

"Please come with us. It'll be fun. You'll get to meet my friends."

"And what are you going to tell them, Jeff? That I'm the girl that has been living on your couch the past few months? That I'm a fairy and can cover people in pixie dust on command?"

"We'll just say that you're a friend from back home?"

"With a fucking Scottish accent?"

"Old family friend. My parents knew your parents, you just moved to North America. There, I fixed it." He seemed pleased with himself for coming up with that answer.

He finally talked me into going but unfortunately, I would be staying sober. Not for lack of trying, though. It is going to be funny when I drink hockey players under the table though.

"How do you get your hair so big and bouncy?" Some of the drunk hockey girlfriends were playing with my hair. They were convinced it was a wig.

"Magic."

"And you're so glittery."

"I do a lot of crafting." I mean it wasn't a lie. I knit a lot. But that's not why I was covered in glitter.

The one girl gasped, "I love to craft. We need to hang out sometime."

"Oh yes, let's."

"How are you not drunk yet?"

"Magic." Jeff about lost his shit. The drunk boy was giggling and no one else thought I was as funny as he did.

I got home and tucked Jeff into bed before I was going to binge watch something on Netflix. "Will you cuddle with me?"

"I think that's a bad idea, Jeff."

"It's only a bad idea if you don't feel the same way about me." He was adorable when he was drunk. He was adorable when he wasn't, too. And that was the problem.

"Then I guess it's not that bad of an idea after all."

"What happens when a human falls in love with a fairy?"

"Oh my god, Jeff."

"No, really. I like you. I want to know if that's possible."

"You know how it works in Harry Potter? You can be half blood or full blood, it's kind of like that. If we were to get to the point where we could have kids, they may or may not be fairies."

"I hope we find out one day."