Chapter 29

"Jisoo!" It came out in a half-gasp. She was almost the last person that Jennie expected to see standing there. Clearly, Kai hadn't expected it, either. He stood up with a crash, sending his banana lounger over and making them all jump a little.

He looked from one girl to the other, some kind of awareness growing on his face.

"I didn't realise you'd be here," Jisoo said softly. "I'll go."

"No!" Jennie reached out, even though Jisoo was a good ten feet away. She suddenly didn't want to be alone with Kai, although the alternative - the three of them standing around and having some kind of conversation - didn't exactly seem like the best of ideas either. "You don't have to go."

"I'll go," Kai said, as he swung his head from one girl to the other. "I don't think I need to be here."

"No, I -" Jisoo came in. Her hands were shoved in her jacket pockets. Her face was quiet in the evening dusk, void of makeup but still breathtakingly beautiful, even as haunted as it was. Jennie's heart went out to her. How she was managing to keep up all this sympathy she had no idea; normally, she was the most selfish person on the planet.

Send Kai away. You know you want to. Well... true, but the voice in her head wasn't supposed to egg her on. Wasn't it her conscience or something? Your conscience? Hell, no! I'm just all those things you think that you'd never say out loud. Well, that most people would never say out loud... You? With you, we never know. Huh. Interesting.

Jennie shook herself back to the present. "Jisoo, can you wait a sec, please? Don't go yet." She grabbed Kai by his elbow and dragged him over to the garden gate. "I don't think you can both be here," she told him.

"So I have to go? Is that it?" Kai growled. "I knew there was something going on!"

"There's nothing going on, okay? Would I look so freaking miserable if something was going on??"

He considered that for a second. "I guess not," he said grudgingly. Thank God for stupid boys.

"Look, she needs a friend, Kai. And I think that's me at the moment," Jennie said softly.

"Yeah, until you get into her pants!"

"Oh, for Christ's sake, that's not what this is about!" Jennie hissed out between clenched teeth. "Can you get a grip for a second? When did you become such a pussy?"

Kai looked suitably insulted. "Fine. Fine. I'm out of here." He threw one last glance at Jisoo. "Just be careful, because she's going to fuck you over, too." It was his parting shot before he stalked off into the darkness.

Woo hoo! You're alone! Okay, these thoughts she wasn't supposed to have. They were irritating her.

She turned back, knowing that, even though she was secretly glad to be alone with Jisoo, she was shaking in her boots about what the girl might say to her. In fact, she could practically guess now: 'Yes, I broke up with Kai but, no, I don't want to be with you. I'm leaving town to be a nun.' What? It was a possibility.

Jisoo was still leaning against one of the posts that were scattered around. She was scuffing the brick pavement with her tennis shoe and looked so adorable that Jennie nearly melted on the spot.

"You okay?" the brunette asked, softly and sweetly.

Jisoo's head shot up. Then she shook it slightly and went back to looking at her toes. "Not really."

"Jisoo..." She didn't know what to say, how to make it better. She walked over until she was also leaning against the post, mere inches away. She tipped up the purple haired's chin and smiled slowly. "It's going to be okay. You did the right thing."

"I hurt EVERYONE, Jennie. Everyone!" Jisoo wailed. "How is it going to be okay?"

Jennie smiled again and shoved her hands in her pockets, mirroring Jisoo's pose. "People heal. They do. And things will be okay. Just give it time."

"I hate being the bad one," Jisoo grumbled, sounding like a petulant five-year-old.

"You're not the bad one, Jis!" Jennie laughed. "Stop that. Things will work themselves out. They always do."

Wow, you sound wise. Where did you learn to act so well?

Jisoo rubbed her head ruefully and sighed. "I did the right thing with Kai, I know that. I don't like him like that. I never did. But... I couldn't tell him that." She looked miserable again.

"I guess there's no need to crush him after you dump him," Jen said, with a half-twist of a smile. "If you did the right thing, then that's pretty much all there is to it."

"Jennie -"

"Mmm?"

It was like slow motion, Jisoo's hands coming up to cup Jennie's face, then her lips finding Jennie's in a symphony of need and warmth.

It was too much to resist, what she'd wanted for so long. Stumbling into Jisoo's arms, she returned the kiss, hot, wet and wanting. They slid together, their bodies finding each other and their breathing deepening until they were both panting. They pulled back for air, briefly, before crushing together again. Jennie wound her spare hand through Jisoo's hair and kissed like she'd never kissed before. Her veins were on fire, her mind was aflame, everything was so hot she was going to combust. Here was Jisoo, finally, free of Kai and hers. Free of...

And this wasn't right. She knew that.

Breaking off the kiss roughly, she took a step backwards, making Jisoo reach out for a hand hold to stay steady.

"I can't..." Jennie whispered. "I'm sorry, I want -. I can't." She visibly deflated. God, how she wanted to!

"I get it," Jisoo said, with a tinge of bitterness.

"No." Jennie reached out. "You don't get it... I want you, Jisoo, more than you can imagine." She pulled the purple haired into her arms, unwilling to have another episode of someone walking off and it being days before everything gets worked out. "I do, I do, but we can't. Not yet, not now."

She held the girl against her shoulder, trying not to inhale too much of her scent, lest she give in to temptation.

"You're right," Jisoo said with a tremble in her voice. "You're always right."

Oh my God, she's officially insane!

"You're officially insane!" Apparently she did sometimes voice those thoughts.

"Jennie," Jisoo whispered against the brunette's collar bone.

"Mmm?"

"Thanks."

"Any time, babe, any time."

* *©clomle44* *