• Chapter Nine •

The next day, Anna was over at Faiths, picking out clothes to go to Marina's. This wouldn't have been a two person job, but Anna was there anyway, so she helped.

"What about this?"

Anna pulled a long sleeved, off the shoulder, light blue top out of Faiths closet. Holding it up for Faith to see, she smiled widely. "It's light material, so it won't be too hot, and it's super cute."

Faith grinned. "I like it! But what about pants?"

Anna dug through the closet some more.

"Got it!"

She held up some baggy, high waisted, ripped mom jeans and a brown belt. "You're gonna look freaking gorgeous. As per usual." She added without thinking.

To Anna's surprise, Faith blushed. Then she shook her head quickly, smiling. "Whatever."

Taking the clothes Anna had in her hands, Faith headed to the bathroom, leaving a confused Anna wondering why flirting jokingly had had that effect on her. She brushed it off.

"It's probably nothing", she thought to herself, thought she wished it had been something.

After a few minutes, Faith re-entered the room, dressed in her outfit.

She did a runway walk across the small bedroom, twirling around and posing for Anna. Laughing, Anna checked over her outfit. She flashed a thumbs up.

"Looks good, Favy!" She frowned slightly. "Hey, where did you get that bruise above your eye. Does that hurt?"

Faith shrugged. "Only when you touch it. Dad's friends were over yesterday and I got elbowed in the face by accident. He didn't apologize though. I guess I'll need a story for this one."

She sighed, examining her face in the mirror hanging on her wall. "I just hope all this gang slash cult stuff is over soon. For good."

Anna shivered at the mental image of the cult. "I hope so, too."

After her father had told her about the cult, Faith immediately told Anna. She needed someone to discuss the craziness with, and she knew Anna would never tell. At least Anna hated Robert a little less, now that she had an explanation.

Anna walked up behind Faith and started to braid her hair while Faith watched in the mirror. "What's your coverup story?"

Faith thought for a moment. "You accidentally hit me while dabbing ferociously."

"...why..."

"Because I feet like it. And you're gonna go along with it, Angel."

Laughing, Anna finished up Faiths braid and gave her a small shove. "Sounds like me though, I can't deny."

Laughing, the two left the apartment and got into Anna's car. They drove off to Marinas house, singing along with the radio the whole time.

And for once since her dad had explained the whole cult thing to her, Faith felt like everything was all right.

~ • ~ • ~

Once Faith got home, she sat down on the couch beside her father, who was watching TV.

"Hey, Faith", her dad smiled. "How was your day?"

"It was good", Faith replied. "I had fun at Marina's."

"That's good. Who was all there?"

"Just me, Anna, and Ben. We invited Lily, too, but she never answered us". Faith's brow furrowed. "I'm a little worried about her if I'm being honest."

Robert gave his daughter a reassuring look. "She'll come around. Her brother just about died, remember that. It's not an easy thing to go through."

"Yeah, I know that, I just..." Faith sighed. "The way she blamed Anna for it and the way Anna described her that night kinda makes me wonder if she's okay."

Robert nodded. "Understandably so. But just give her time. Where is she staying by the way?"

"Apparently Lily's mom has a friend who lives here, so Lily's staying there right now. Once Taran gets out of the hospital, he's going to stay there too for a while before they can go home."

"Hmm", Robert turned back to the TV. "Well I'm glad they're taken care of."

After a minute of silence, Robert turned back to his daughter.

"There's something I need to talk to you about."

Faith raised one eyebrow. "What?"

"Well", Robert looked at his hands nervously. "My purifying ritual is tomorrow night."

Faith's eyes widened. "You mean you're getting out of the gang?"

Robert smiled. "Yes, I am going to be out." Then he sighed. "However, I'm going to have to do a very bad thing to be free."

Faith shook her head. "Do it. This family needs to finally be normal."

Robert chuckled sadly. "Yes. Yes it does."

The two sat there, watching the TV. If anyone were to see them, they would see a teenage girl and her father, being a normal family, however small it may be.

But they were so much more.