Chapter 3: First day is always the hardest📒

The Used - The Bird and The Worm
🎶

~

(All in Sals POV today)
*obnoxious alarm sound*

I dont want to do this. I faintly hear my alarm go off. It gets louder and louder the more awake I become. When I cant stand the beeping any longer, I gather enough energy to roll over and smack the off button. I sit up and slowly lean forward to stretch out my back. I really dont want to do this. As I contemplate laying back down I hear foot steps approaching my room.

*knock knock*

I reply with a whine. It's to early for this.

"Sal, are you awake yet? Today is your first day at your new school." Dad says as he enters my room. My dad has the same blue hair was me, with a beard to match. Hes holding a fresh cup of coffee in his hands as he sits on the foot of my bed. I, once again, whine and roll back over.

"Is it to late to start home schooling?" I'm hoping I can convince him. But for now, I have failed.

"Yes it is. Now get up and start getting ready. I'll make you some breakfast." He says while taking a sip.

"Uuuuuggggghhh" I reply from my pile of blankets. I sit up.
"Dad, I dont want to start a new school. These kids are going to be just like the ones in Jersey. I'm tired of being picked on." I say putting my head back down.

"Sal.. Sal look at me." I hear sadness in dad's voice, however, I dont pick my head up.

"Sal.. I know everything has been hard on you since your mother died... it's been hard on me too.. but you listen to me."

I pick my head up with glassy eyes.
ha. HA GET IT. *slaps knee*

Dad continues, "You are an amazing young man. I know you're strong enough to get though this, I've seen you go through much worse. You have such a kind and caring heart, kids dont know how lucky they'd be to have a friend like you. I guess you get that from your mother..." he chuckles a bit.

I lean over and give him a hug, trying not to tear up.

He continues "You're going to do great son. I'm so proud of you. I love you Sal."

Here come the water works.

"I love you to dad.." I sob into his shoulder. I really do have the best dad in the world. I feel him pat my back.

"Now get ready. I'll be taking you to school this morning." He says as he gets up and exits my room. I do one final stretch before swinging my feet over the side of the bed and standing up. I gather my clothes up, a black sweater and red pants, and head to the bathroom.
Shower time

As I walk past my mirror I stop and examine myself. Messy blue hair, big blue eyes. I look at my body. I wasnt super build or anything but I wasnt chubby either. Kinda like, I definitely loved some pasta but I'll also go adventuring for hours. I scaned my skin looking at all the marks and scars. Some accidental, some intentional. Speaking of scars, theres the one I cant avoid no matter how much I try. My face. My scared face. *sigh* Over time I hated my face. It was a constant remind of who and what I lost. Did you know I look just like my mom? I do. Well, I did. Now I look like a monster. A hideous monster. Who would want to be friends with the kid with the scared face, a glass eye, and a mask? *another sigh* I push these thoughts aside as I jump in the shower.

~

I wrap my wet hair in a towel. My glass eye staring back at me from its cup.
What you lookin at punk. I open the medicine cabinet and grab my vitamin E and cocoa butter for my face. It's not going to do shit for these scars but I like to imagine it does. Plus, it keeps my incredible dry face somewhat hydrated and soft.
Vitamin E oil and cocoa butter lotion (like for stretch marks) can help with scaring. We used these on my mother after her knee replacement and it helped quite a lot.
Okay enough babbling, back the story!