Detention

Friday was usually Jughead's favorite day.

He might hang out with Archie, or go work on Blue and Gold with Betty, or just settle into a booth at Pop's to work on his novel.

But not today.

Today, he had detention for cheating on a math quiz.

Not only did Jughead have detention, both Veronica and Archie had detention with him.
————-————-————-————-————-

In all honesty, Jughead would not have minded detention so much if it weren't for the fact that his very recently ex-girlfriend, Betty Cooper, was the student proctor.

Student proctors came into existence after too many kids took fizzle-rocks and the detentions got too filled up for the teachers to handle. Betty was the perfect candidate; great grades, extracurriculars, the whole nine yards.

At the end of the day, Jughead took his time at his locker, bent down slowly to tie his shoe, did anything to avoid going to the detention hall. When he finally entered the cold sterile room, Archie and Veronica where already in their chairs. Betty was sitting in the teacher's desk. She would not make eye contact with him.

Once Jughead had shuffled into his seat, Betty cleared her throat and stood.

"So," she said, embarrassment plain in her voice, "four hours, no phones, and um, you can't talk." Betty quickly sat back down.

"Screw that," Veronica exclaimed, "Let's at least play a game to pass the time."

Archie and Betty exchanged apprehensive looks. What did Veronica have in mind?

"Relax, recreants, I just mean truth or dare. Here, we can write them down in scraps of paper, then pick one out of the middle."

Jughead narrowed his eyebrows. So we don't get to choose between truth or dare then?"

"That's part of the fun."

Veronica pivoted to Betty, eyes wide and begging. "Come on, please, B?"

Betty frowned but relented. "Fine, but we have to be quiet."

The group spent the next couple of minutes scribbling truths and dares until they had a sizable pile in the middle of the circle they had formed on the floor.

Archie pulled first.

"Switch shirts with the person to your left".

Archie turned to his left, giving Betty an apologetic look. "We don't have to if you don't want," He said quietly.

"No, it's fine. I'll just... go behind the desk."

Archie took his shirt off and tossed it to Betty, who was crouched behind the desk for the sake of her modesty. Jughead kept his eyes on the ground the whole time, making sure he never looked in Betty's direction.

Betty emerged, swimming in Archie's tee, and tossed him her blouse.

Both sat back down, looking thoroughly ridiculous. Archie secretly thought that Betty looked adorable in his shirt, but that was something he would take to his grave.

Betty was making a Herculean effort not to stare Archie's muscular shoulders which were popping out of her shirt. It was like every day, her crush on him intensified tenfold. She did her best to take her mind off it.

Jughead was next. He pulled a scrap out and grimaced, then read it aloud.

"Truth: screw, marry, kill,  the other people in the circle.