ii. among unfamiliarity

FETID SMOKE WAFTED AND LINGERED throughout the area of the grand kitchen, polluting the air with the scent of burnt food and regret. Adelina scrunched up her nose at the foul smell and from afar watched her mother struggle with flipping a completely burned and overcooked pancake stuck on the frying pan.

Luciana was not gentle with her spatula, and scraped and scraped at it until the pancake was peeled off in pieces. Its burnt top still remained stuck on the pan and caused more thicker smoke to flood the air. Adelina fanned around her face to rid the smoke surrounding her as she rushed into the living room for fresh air.

Because of the open kitchen layout, the young woman was able to watch her mother carefully in the shroud of the dark haze of smoke. She was surprised she hadn't burned the house down. Luciana threw her hands up in frustration, cursing to herself in Spanish, and removed the smoking pan from the stove. She threw the hot pan in the sink before turning the cold water on and soaking it.

The water sizzled and blasted Luciana with a cloud of hot steam to which Adelina's mother only grew more frustrated. Adelina rushed to her mother's side in worry for a possible burn as Luciana turned towards her,"Is my make-up messed up?"

She pursed her lips at her mother's irrelevant worry about her self-image instead of her own safety. Despite it, Adelina analyzed her face, noticing the water droplets glistening in the morning sun like dewdrops. Then towards her smeared mascara, peeling foundation, and her fake eyelash hanging off on a thread on her right eye. With a small gust of wind that sucker would taste freedom.

"Your eyelash is falling off."

Adelina's hand inched toward the crooked eyelash before being swatted away by her mother. In a blink of an eye, a panicked Luciana rushed into the bathroom with the tapping of her wedges sounding behind her.

Adelina only sighed out loud and twirled her heavy waves into a makeshift bun. Putting on yellow cleaning gloves, she started to tidy her mother's huge mess that transformed the once spotless kitchen into a pigsty. Beginning with the burning pan in sink.

Getting up early was her mother's first strike and attempting to make breakfast was the second. Adelina was already suspicious at her mother's behavior and new found hobbies such as her failed attempt at cooking. Luciana had Adelina practically as her personal maid throughout her childhood -- cleaning, cooking and tending to her needs like she was the Queen of England and Adelina, a modern Cinderella. But now, with her remarriage, the usual dynamics were in shambles, making Adelina completely lost.

She opened the wide sliding door, leading to the flower garden in the back, in attempt to air out the smoke and bring in the floral Spring air. Luciana soon reappeared all dolled up once again with her lash now securely glued on. She changed out of her nightgown and now wore a yellow sundress decorated with floral designs. The color complimented her mocha skin and dark complexion.

"How do I look?"

Adelina admired her mother, envious that she did not inherit her mother's natural beauty, skin and hour glass stature. She was always told that she looked more closely to her father. Her skin was a few shades darker than his but it wasn't as smooth or flawless compared to her mother. She did however have his eyes, almond shaped and onyx colored, and his sharp nose.

"Beautiful as always, Mom." Adelina replied.

Her mother's pride swelled and her smile grew wider. She sat at the dining table tucked in the corner of the kitchen, scrolling through her phone as her daughter cleaned up her mess. The Spring air blew sweet-tasting breezes flavored with the flourishing blossoms. A concoction of new growth and recovery from the once frosty grip of Winter. Mother Nature's own breath. Her Breath of Life.