iv. among surprise

Look perfect. Be perfect.

THE WORDS OF HER MOTHER REPEATED in her mind, chanting religiously and mercilessly. Her hands were balled in fists on her lap to prevent them from trembling as the young woman watched the blur of the outside world reel by like old fashioned tapes through the car window. Her eyes flickered from each interesting blur, of a car or of a building, that caught her eye and distracted her from her overbearing thoughts. The destination of Blaire's facility burned in the back of her mind.

Her eyes eventually wandered to the side view mirror, even though she couldn't see herself clearly from the dark tint. Adelina had tried to look her best that day. She wasn't as skilled in make up as her mother was, who was able to hide a blemish or oncoming pimple with ease. She only had on some eyeliner, foundation, and some lipgloss. She believed she looked presentable, mediocre at best.

No longer wanting to look at herself, she adverted her gaze and her lip was captured between her teeth as she chewed on it repeatedly. Her eyes continued to look out the window. The A/C in the car erupted unwanted goosebumps on her skin but she was too shy to ask for it to be turned down and forced herself to withstand the cold air. A stray lock of hair unexpectedly fell down from her bun, causing Adelina to mildly panic. Her mother had done her hair up beautifully, and she ruined it. Using the mirror on the sun shade, she tried her best to tuck the strand back in place like it was previously.

"You look amazing,"Adelina glanced to the driver at her left and felt her cheeks glow in embarrassment. Roman met her gaze momentarily, gave a smile, and turned his attention back to the road. Discreetly, Adelina still tried to fix her hair.

She felt bad intruding on his Sunday by asking him for a ride to Blaire's. Her mother had forgotten to give her money for a car ride or a bus ride there despite the numerous times Adelina reminded her before she left on another unnecessary shopping trip. When she had asked to borrow some money, as she was desperate but felt ashamed, to afford a ride there, Roman insisted on taking her himself.

"We're family now, Adelina,"He had told her,"You can ask me for anything, anytime."

His words had struck her heart and resonated through her body like a plucked guitar string, rumbling the contents inside. She had fumbled her words as she tried to convince him that he didn't have to take her. But he had insisted. And the fact that Roman was on his way to his office anyways somehow made her feel less guilty about being a burden.

"Nervous?" His words captured her attention as she looked at him, lip trembling between her teeth.

"Kind of,"Adelina continued to watch the blur of the moving world.

"You'll do amazing. Your mother told me how passionate you are about doing pageants."

She didn't answer him right away, the biting on her lip continued. His words burned into her soul.

"Yeah," Adelina had finally answered, her arms wrapped tighter around her body to conjure up some warmth.

As the buildings outside grew familiar, she knew her destination was close, close enough to give her anxiety. Her nails began to dig into her lower palm. Roman pulled to the front of the building with a neon pink sign hanging above the entranceway. It was once a storage facility, but was now renovated for Blaire's business. Adelina turned to Roman in preparation for them to say their goodbyes and for her to say her appreciation.