vi. among attentiveness

THE BROTHERS WERE WATCHING HER, every little move that she made, every little thing that she did, had their amber eyes burning into the depths of her skin ever since that night. Even a simple intake of breath instantly had their upmost attention and didn't cease their abnormal staring behavior.

Even as she was in the kitchen, brewing herself some afternoon tea, her body became rigid and the hairs on her body stood up at its ends. From the shiver that crawled down her spine, Adelina knew they were watching, even though they weren't in the kitchen with her. They were still watching.

The steamed whistle of the heated kettle whizzed in the kitchen, taking her mind off of the thought that she was under her stepbrothers' constant surveillance. The aromatic scent of her herbal tea wafted from her mug as she poured the hot water inside. Letting the teabag soak for a few minutes, she decided to finish her grilled chicken salad as a pairing with her freshly cut fruit.

With her mug in hand, Adelina brought it to the dining table along with the lunch she prepared herself. Without Yulia around, thanks to her mother's persistent whining and tantrums, Adelina was free to cook whatever she wanted, having someone cook and clean after her bothered her anyways. Within a single bite of her salad, her mother suddenly appeared from around the corner. She had an unusual pep in her step, most likely from having her way, and the smile plastered on her face made Adelina uneasy.

"Good afternoon, Mother," She said now slowly poking at her food. Her mother walked towards the stove and used the remainder of the hot water in the kettle to make herself some tea.

"You'll behave yourself while I'm gone?"

Luciana sat down across from her daughter, the steaming mug resting on the wood table. Adelina averted her eyes and focused her attention on a piece of lettuce in her bowl, poking it with her fork

"I will, Mother."

"And you'll follow my diet regime that I gave you?"

Adelina nodded her head at her words.

"Good. I don't want to come back from my lovely honeymoon in Greece to see that you haven't been doing what I asked. You won't become a pageant queen without it."

"I understand."

Adelina remained quiet and slowly picked at her food under the eye of her mother who slowly sipped on her tea and scrolled through her social media on her phone. The sudden shrill of Luciana's ringtone echoed in the kitchen, catching Adelina's attention as her mother answered it. It was her aunt, her mother's younger sister, Monica. As Luciana continued to gossip with her sister and boast about her trip to Greece, Adelina overheard that her and Roman were leaving for their flight tonight. Which would leave her alone with both Romulus and Remus for almost a entire week. The thought caused a sensation of butterflies to flutter in her stomach. Whether that feeling was from excitement or fear, she could not tell.

They wouldn't do anything on her, she assured herself.

At the end of the call, her mother rose to her feet, a smile still on her face, and walked away, putting her empty mug in the sink. As she turned the corner, Luciana quickly stopped in her tracks almost running into the chests of the unsuspecting twins. With an apology and quick excuse, Adelina's mother headed upstairs, oblivious to their annoyed glares.

Adelina felt her body suddenly shiver at their presence, goosebumps lined the top of her flesh
and she felt her heart pound vigorously in her chest. In her peripheral vision, she watched as both men slowly, almost cautiously, began to approach her. One came from the right side of her while the other flanked to her left causing the breath she was about to exhale to became lodged. She didn't look up at them, even as their bodies trapped her in her seat. The spiced cologne they wore enveloped her in haze, the smell was intoxicating.

"Do you always clench your thighs like that, Lamb?" One brother leaned down and asked.

His words only made her thighs clench even harder and his dark velvet voice sent a delectable shiver shooting down to her nether regions. She swallowed hard, her throat dry, and stuttered as a coherent reply failed to come out of her mouth.

"We can make your thighs do more than clench," The other twin said, his amber eyes glimmering with underlying flicker.

Adelina couldn't breathe. Her lungs felt withered in her rib cage, refusing to pump oxygen into her body. Their naughty words made liquid heat pool between her thighs, her body was definitely finding pleasure in their intimidating presences, her mind on-the-other hand screamed for her to escape the situation she was.

The sound of footsteps descending the staircase caused Adelina to panic and push her chair back. Even standing, she was no where near the same height the the two men standing either side of her. Her head barely reached the same height as their shoulders.

Carrying suitcases in both arms, Roman entered the foyer along with Luciana dragging an oversized suitcase behind her and a bag on her arm. Adelina quickly moved away from Romulus and Remus, her heart still racing at their encounter.

"Why do you look so pale?" Her mother asked in artificial concern as she gave her bag and suitcase to Roman who took their bags outside to the car.

Adelina only fumbled on her words trying to think of a good excuse, the heat beginning to rise in her cheeks. The disinterested look of her mother caused her to shut her mouth. When Roman returned to fetch his wife to leave Adelina glanced back at her stepbrothers, who were leaning against the granite island watching her, and felt pressure built in her chest.

"Do you really have to go?" Her meek voice asked as they were just leaving.

Her mother gave her a puzzled look from the doorframe while Roman held a warmer smile on his face.

"We'll be back soon," He reassured her, giving her a small hug.

"But-" She began to say, wanting to beg them to let her join them but the glare of her mother caused her words to cut short.

Roman and Luciana said their goodbyes to Adelina, her stepfather trying put her worried mind at rest more than her mother. Romulus and Remus' father gave them a few words in private before giving them a nod and heading out the door with Luciana. As the door pulled out of the driveway, through the gate and into the streets, Adelina only prayed from protection from the brothers. From the way their eyes gleamed, she knew she was now alone and at their mercy.

- - -

A/N: Wash your hands and stay safe x