iii. among suspicion

THERE WAS SOMETHING IN THE WAY the brothers were looking at the new maid that had Adelina vastly curious. And all the more suspicious. As she sat across from the men sipping on her herbal tea, Adelina noticed their gazes on the maid, Yuliya, were not the same usual cold glares or impassive stares they gave her and her mother. Theirs was more carnivorous. Wanting gazes while their amber eyes gleamed at her, watching from the dinner table as she meticulously cleaned the kitchen from having prepared breakfast earlier.

Something was up that was sure. But Adelina was keen on keeping to herself as she usually did, though that didn't stop her from being interested in the brothers' new fondness. The maid, on the other hand, was too busy in her duties to notice their gazes. Yulia's brunette hair was pulled back to a ponytail, draped down her back with straight bangs at the front, framing her face. She was older than Adelina by a few years, having arrived from Moscow years prior.

Shoes tapped against the marble flooring before a smiling Roman emerged from the foyer, clad in one of his usual designer suits, dressed clean-cut and looking handsome as always. On Roman's neck was a bright red welt, that was small but noticeable to the naked eye. He was soon followed by Luciana hot on his trail, smiling wide and an evident blush on her cheeks. At her presence, the twins immediately grimaced and deep frowns appeared on their faces.

"Good morning, Adelina," Roman smiled as he grabbed the coffee mug given to him by Yulia and nodded in appreciation at.

Adelina immediately blushed and gave him a smile in return, but unlike his, hers was more coy. She hid her face as she leisurely drank the tea from her cup. His attention then turned towards the maid in acknowledgement.

"Yulia."

Roman nodded at her and sipped from his steaming mug. Luciana sat on the barstool next to him, glaring at the woman in front of her.

"Good Morning, Mr. Lykos," Yulia said smiling while preparing a plate full of food and putting it in front of him. Her smile faltered as her eyes turned to Adelina's mother who wore a pretentious scowl.

"Mrs. Lykos," Yulia said with a small smile.

Before Roman could eat, however, Luciana tugged on his arm like a child and frowned.

"I thought we were going out for breakfast."

Roman looked at her puzzled,"Why would we when Yulia prepared us food?"

Luciana stared at the plate she had placed in front of her and pouted. Yulia had quietly slipped from the kitchen as Luciana poked at her food defeatedly, huffing in the process. Adelina noticed the look Roman gave his intolerable wife at her impudence, his glare soon caught her mother's attention.

"Eat," He uttered the single word harshly at her mother that even had Adelina feeling daunt just hearing it. Luciana hesitated.

"Fine,"Luciana sighed. Her eyes glaring at the food in front of her,"but I won't enjoy it."

Adelina peered as a pleased smirk curved on his lips as his wife began to eat. Although unhappily.

As both of them finished their plates, Yulia had returned with various cleaning supplies and took their plates to the sink to clean. Adelina was busy in her thoughts but popped out of it as the maid approached the dining table that she and the twins were sitting at. She was seated as far as she could possibly be from the intimidating men, choosing the seat closest to the window overlooking the meadow of the backyard.