Chapter 3

Squealing a few feet from the corner, Opie jumped out as quickly as he could and rushed to Macy's side. She was sitting in a large stone planter, crushing the carefully placed flowers, with the lamppost beside her acting as a spotlight for her rescuer.

"Are you okay?" He asked her, tilting her chin up to look at her face. "Who did this to you?"

"J-just take me home," she urged him. "We'll talk there."

Opie gathered Macy up in his arms, holding her against his chest, and carried her over to his truck. She opened the door for him and he gingerly placed her in the passenger's seat.

As he walked around to the driver's side, Opie checked up and down the street for any sign of who could have hurt Macy. Opie could hardly control his fury as he looked for any movement, but he knew Macy would only be more upset by it. As he suspected, the streets were empty so he climbed back in the pick-up and headed toward home.

"I'm surprised you didn't call Jax," she said with a trembly voice.

He smirked a little, "I woulda. He actually called me a few hours ago, he's at Saint Thomas. Wendy," he said as a simple explanation.

"Shit, accident or drugs?"

Opie glanced at her. "One guess."

"Goddamnit, Wendy," Macy sighed.

At a red light, Opie examined her more closely. "I think that's gonna need stitches," he told her, his eyes on her cheekbone.

"No," she shook her head, cringing from the pain in her skull. "It's fine."

Opie glared at her but didn't push, he could see she was terrified and didn't want to cause her any more stress. They arrived at the house rather quickly and Opie helped her in with one arm around her waist. Guiding her into the kitchen, Opie lifted her with ease onto the kitchen counter and grabbed the first aid kit Donna was forced to make from under the sink.

"Tell me what happened," he said sternly as he lifted her face toward the light.

"I," she stopped and hissed as Opie began to clean her wounds, "Fuck, Ope."

"It's not that bad," he said. "Tell me, Mace."

Macy paused, grimacing as Opie worked to fix her up, before finally giving Opie an exaggerated explanation. "I got jumped," she said, her eyes locked on the blood-stained gauze beside her.

"Jumped?" He said with anger. "On Main?"

"Off Main actually," she corrected him. "Two drunk assholes, I didn't get a look at them."

"What'd they take?"

"Oh," she didn't plan that far ahead. "Uhh, just my cash."

Opie's green eyes locked on hers for a second before starting to bandage the gash from her tumble down the steps. "Lucky they didn't take your phone."

"Ye-yeah," she stammered. "Is Jax okay?"

"I dunno," he said honestly. "I was gonna head over before you called, he sounded pretty upset."

Macy nodded, feeling more justified in her lie knowing that it would keep that much more stress and anger off her brother's back.

"You can go," she told him, "He needs you more than I do."

"He's got everyone else," Opie said softly. "I'm not leaving you." Squeezing in between her knees, Opie gave Macy a hug and although she was still trembling, he did feel her slowly start to relax. "See? You're still fucking shaking."