Chapter 40

*Sorry for the delay loves! Quarantine brain 🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️ Enjoy!*

Macy was distraught, sinking into shock by the time Hale arrived on scene. It was the absolute last thing Opie ever expected to do, it was never an option but there he stood waiting to hear the deputy pull up, sirens off to keep away any unwanted attention, all for Macy.

Greeting Hale at the door, Opie offered him his hand, a promise of a momentary truce between the two of them. He was out of his jurisdiction but as little as Opie trusted Hale it was exponentially more than he trusted the SanWa as Shane was one of theirs.

"It's not as bad as it looks," Opie said as Hale looked past him into the house.

"No?" Hale scoffed. "Looks like a dead cop and a catatonic Macy," he remarked, looking at Opie again. "Where's the kid?"

"I don't know," Opie shrugged. "Got a note at my place to meet him up here, he had Macy, no kid. I don't know how they got here, what happened before, but he wanted out, Hale. He wanted me to kill him."

"Did you?" Hale asked, his eyes raised high.

"No," Opie said mournfully, he wished he had so he could save Macy from what was to come. "I wanted his ass locked up, I didn't want to give him what he was looking for, a way out. Macy did it, she just...snapped."

Hale nodded, looking at the scene closer. "I can see that, don't think I blame her either," he murmured. "Is she okay, physically?"

"Yeah, I think so," he muttered.

"I have to put an Amber Alert out for the kid, you know that, right?"

Opie shook his head. "I'll talk to her. She might know."

"Let me," Hale offered. "I can't have you two talking privately now. This is a murder, Opie. I understand the circumstances are extreme but I have to follow protocol for Macy and myself."

"Come on, man," Opie groaned, "Look at her."

Hale sighed, "I'm trying to protect her right now, you getting involved any more than you already are won't do that, it'll just make her look less sympathetic."

Anything having to do with any of the Sons tended to do that, Opie knew it, but it still killed him to see Hale approach Macy, speaking quietly and slowly, trying to get something out of her.

"Hey Mace," Hale smiled, crouching down in front of the chair where she'd been frozen since Opie first made the call. "Long time, kiddo."

"I had to do it," she stammered.

"It's okay," he hushed her. "I know you did, I don't want you worrying about that right now. All I want to know is what happened. Remember, Macy, I'm on your side."

Hale could feel Opie's gaze on them. Normally he would have worried that it would be too much for someone in Macy's position but he doubted she even realized.

"Where do you want me to start?" She asked with surprising clarity. "When he fucking drugged me and took me and my son to Toronto or when he killed his right-hand man and dragged me back here on some death mission?"

Hale grimaced, placing a supportive hand on her shoulder. "Let's start with the latter," he suggested, "We can go over the rest of it with SanWa sheriff when you're feeling better."

Nodding, Macy relaxed a bit in the chair finding comfort in Hale's familiar face and Opie's presence just a few feet away.

"Something triggered it," she muttered. "I'm not sure what, but Shane got a call and he just kind of lost it," she explained. "His eyes went crazy. He told me to pack a bag for me and the baby," Macy was loath to call the child by his name anymore. "While I did that he left, I didn't know where at first but I found out he went to his right-hand man's house, Shane just killed him, shot him in the head."

It was a dark journey from the start, just as Hale feared. "Do you know his name?"

"Chad," Macy nodded, "I forget his last name but Nicole, his girlfriend, she has the baby, she's on her way... or at least she said she was," she explained. "She'll know all that shit."

Hale was scribbling furiously in his notebook. "Okay, go ahead, after Shane killed Chad, what happened next?"

"He came back home with Nicole," she recalled. "She was a mess but she held her shit together, he told her to stay put then come over the border a couple of hours later," Macy told Hale. "He knew one of us was going to die, he was trying to protect his son," she whimpered.

"Small miracles," was all Hale could think.

"Then we got here. He shut down. We waited for Opie, he tried to talk Shane down but I had enough, man," Macy began to break down. "I fucking had enough."

Hale could see, very clearly, he hit the end with Macy until she could truly calm down. He stood, bringing her up with him, and wrapped his arms around her.

"I'm sorry, Macy," he said, genuinely sympathetic. "You're safe now, though. You have Opie, your family, even me, we're all in your corner looking out for you."

Macy nodded. "He's definitely dead, right?"

"Yeah, he definitely is dead," Hale assured her. "I'm going to call SanWa and if you could give me a description of your friend, the one who has your son, we can keep a lookout, bring her in, get you and your family back together."

"Cops will spook her," Macy said forcefully. "She'll be here."

Of course, they would.

"Come on," Hale offered Macy his hand and helped guide her toward the couch in the other room. "Rest," he urged her. "You're going to have a busy 24 hours coming home. You'll need it."