Rewind 29

Opie avoided Lyla as long as he could once gearing she'd been suspicious of his comings and goings. After nearly 60 hours, he returned home to find an unhappy Lyla waiting for him.

"Jesus Christ, Ope," Lyla grumbled from the kitchen. "Where you been?"

"Running around," he said vaguely. "Sorry."

"What's going on with you?" She asked, her anger draining from her expression.

Opie shook his head. "Nothing."

"Ima told me you saw Macy," she told him. "Just tell me if that's it. Please." When he hesitated rather than deny it, Lyla knew she was right. "Is she at least giving you the time of day now or am I losing you to a woman who wants nothing to do with you?"

"We just talked," he lied.

"That is a step for you two," she scoffed. "Me and Piper can be out by the end of the week."

"Lyla," he groaned. "It ain't like that."

"Yeah," she rolled her eyes. "Just like when you called me Macy right in the middle of-"

Opie interrupted quickly, just as embarrassed as she was by what happened. "That was months ago," he said defensively.

"And I'll never forget it," she admitted shamefully.

"I'm sorry," he said, sounding somewhat genuine. "Don't go."

Lyla shook her head. "I don't know. I'll think about it."

"I can't stop fucking' up," he said, sounding painfully pitiful. "Donna, Macy, you."

"Yeah," Lyla grabbed her purse. "It's definitely a you problem. I have to go to work. Promo photo shoot."

Opie grimaced but didn't complain, "Okay."

"Bye, Ope," she frowned. "Hopefully I'll see you in the morning."

Nearly one week after the money appeared on her front step, Macy still hadn't heard any news regarding who could have left it. She had heard from Opie, though, and it wasn't entirely unwelcome. First, she sent an apology for her behavior after they'd fallen into bed together then a few some friendly texts until she broke down and invited him over for dinner.

The entire time she cooked, cleaned and prepared, Shane remained in his spot near the backyard. He'd come and gone throughout the week but always returned while weighing the potential outcomes. Shane wasn't one to shy away from a battle, he took everything head on, but Jax has managed to exploit his biggest weakness in an overly emotional time.

"Fuck it," Shane hissed, "I'm doing it." Trudging toward the backdoor, Shane watched Macy scurry through the house to the front door. "Mace, sugar, no," he groaned, seeing Opie stepped into the entryway.

"Hey," Macy said timidly reaching for a hug. "I think I forgot how big you are," she added with a giggle.

"That's me," he chuckled. "Where's the kid?"

"Sleeping," she sighed. "That's why I asked you over for a late dinner. Feels kind of weird, in a way."

"You feel guilty," he said sadly. "You don't even want a baby to see me here."

Shrugging, Macy led him into the house. "I made what used to be your favorite, I don't know if it still is."

Opie bent down and peered into the oven. "Not my favorite, Mace, never was."

"What?" She turned and looked at him with surprise. "You loved my lasagna!"

Shaking his head, Opie chuckled a little. "I don't hate it but there's stuff you used to make that I like more."