Chapter 38

Opie came home to an empty house, something he had gotten used to over time, grabbed the mail and kicked off his boots. He made his way to the kitchen and marked his calendar, one more day without Macy, day 93. The black lines through each square were a harsh reminder of what he had failed to do: bring his girl home.

Ripping open the mail, he skimmed the bills briefly then tossed them into the pile and immediately discarded the junk. There was one last envelope, one that didn't look commercial like the rest.

"Canada?" He scoffed, checking the postmark. Opie hesitated but decided to open the envelope, using more caution than he had with the others. He was dumbfounded, horrified as well as oddly relieved by what he found inside.

"Opie,

I'm a friend of Macy's and I'm writing you this letter because she couldn't do it herself. She's alive and safe with Shane in Toronto.

The first thing she wanted me to adamantly tell you was to stay in California. Seriously, you won't legally get in with your criminal record and the trip itself is long, too long for nothing more than an attempt to get over the border. If you're caught, and you will be, Shane would flip and he would know somehow she got word to you. It's not worth it.

Secondly, she said she loves you and asks that you tell her dad and brother the same. She loves you guys and she says she'll be home before you guys know it. Also, don't let Clay freak about the letter, she only had me send this to you because she thought you'd be the one to listen to her and not just race up here.

I'm helping her, probably at my own detriment, to find a way out but part of that takes patience. He's relaxing the rules but she's barely allowed to be alone with the baby because he still thinks she'll run if she gets the chance. 

She's alive. She's well. She's working on getting back to you guys."

Nicole"

When he read it for Clay and Jax it was the fifth time his eyes scanned the words but it was still unbelievable.

"How do we get to Canada under the radar?" Clay asked instantly. "They have Canadian coyotes?"

"No," Opie said forcefully. "She said no. She has a plan."

"A plan?" Clay scoffed. "This is Macy, we need to watch out for her, we need to bring her home."

"This is Macy," Jax repeated Clay's words. "I think we gotta trust her. We go up there and we prove she's right about this; we don't look like assholes, we'll be burying her."

"Then we don't fuck up," Clay shouted, slamming his fists against the table. "We bring her and that baby home and put Shane in the goddamn ground." He stood and on his way out of the room passed Jax. "Don't think I forgot how this started. This is all on you."

"He's not wrong," Jax said shamefully.

"Bout which part?" Opie asked with a huff. "Cause I think we all know going up north is gonna get Macy killed."

"You blame me too?" Jax asked, offended even Opie would say it let alone think it.

Opie shook his head. "I don't know. I wanna blame someone, brother."

"Yeah," Jax huffed. "Me too."

Despite Clay's assurances throughout the day that he wouldn't do anything that evening, Opie still left the clubhouse feeling uneasy. He arrived home, mournful as usual, to find a note hammered into his front door.

"What the fuck," he growled, ripping the nite down. "You're invited," he read off the front of the card. "Welcome home party, now, where it all started. Come alone.

"Macy's," Opie realized, adrenaline surging through his system. "They're back."

Sorry for the length but, hey FINALLY an update! Xoxo