Child of the Forest

The Prince, Princess, and I were put to bed for a mid afternoon nap. Birthday party or not babies still need sleep.

The prince did not want to sleep and he threw a temper tantrum. The princess and I looked at him like a naughty child while the maids tried to calm him. I lay down and hugged one of my plush toys while I ignored his royal tantrum.

When I woke up my grandmother was picking me up. Her hair was woven and braided with intricately carved wooden hair ornaments. I put one in my mouth to annoy her.

She scolded me lightly and carried me away. We went to the ballroom and my grandmother approached Adros.

"Your Grandfather asked me to help tend to your awakening." She said as she bounced me in her arms.

Adros looked at her in confusion. He scratched an ear, one had an earring, the other did not. "I already had one of my seals removed."

Silva sighed. "Your father really taught you nothing about your mother's people."

Adros shifted uncomfortably under my grandmother's stern gaze.

She knelt to look him in the eyes. "Your mother was a princess of the Mountain clans. She knew old magic as well as any of my forest kin."

"My father calls it wild magic." Adros said with some shame. The king probably meant it as an insult.

"Perhaps", Silva said showing no surprise or offense. "But the magic of your father is structured. It's main focus is to control and force the magic. Your father and his people believe magic serves man. Your mother's magic is about letting the magic flow through you. There are no words, or memorizing scrolls, drawing runes, or waving a wand. We believe that we serve magic. "

She touched his earring "This is a door, it's locked and keeps you from knowing the true nature of magic. Let me help you open the door."

Adros looked towards his father who was flirting with a lady from a lower house.

"He wont know you've left." Silva said watching the King with cold eyes.

Adros nodded and followed her out.

We left the castle and walked towards the woods. Theron, Orion and my parent's were waiting for us.

Silva looked towards my father, "You must wait here, the spirits will not take to you."

Celeste started to protest but my father calmed her. "She knows best."

"Remove their seals." She commanded. My father motioned intricately with his hands and I suddenly felt lighter.

"It feels weird." Orion muttered.

"It's magic, unfiltered by your seals. " Silva answered.

Celeste nodded and walked forward through a deer trail. The woods were dark and I heard the calls of nocturnal animals ring through the crisp night air.

I heard a branch snap ahead, Celeste and Theron drew their weapons. I've never seen my mother look so fierce.

From the forest emerged a massive ram with large curled horns. Atop was a man wearing furs and leathers with an axe at his back. Both Ram and rider were dappled with grey in their hair.

"Elbio, you're late." Silva deadpanned.

"Blast you woman, I've been riding for a week." The older man said as he dismounted. Elbio the Elder was black haired with blue grey eyes. He was taller than any man I had ever seen and stood before Adros.

He looked at him sternly for a moment then clapped his hand on Adros' shoulder. "You look like my Adrija, she was very happy when she found out she was pregnant. She really wanted to be a mother."