Blessing and a Curse

When I came home from my meeting with the spirits everyone was distracted by Adros and his dragon Axon. Everyone seemed scared of him and the dragon who eyed them dangerously. I wanted to play so I made Adros pick me up and I pet Axon with a smile. Hopefully no one will try to ostracize him over his familiar.

The mark on my forehead was only mentioned by Ayla who called it cute.

Soon, word of my "blessing" reached the ears of the Tribes and other communities that held reverence for natural magic.

We started receiving visitors by the dozens who wanted to touch my forehead in an effort to get a residual effect from the mark. They were promptly refused and sent away. Especially after a group of people tried to get into the mansion. They never even made it past the gate. Apparently my mother's affinity was for plants. The vines and shrubs lining the castle grounds weren't just for show. The smallest disturbance would alert her to the presence of an interloper.

Because of people's obsession with my mark my social calendar was extremely light. I was only allowed in the castle, even though my family received various invitations out. My parents wanted us to stay were they were sure there was enough security and protective wards. So my social circle was restricted to Orion, Adros and the twins.

When I returned to the woods on my second birthday the dryad touched my forehead again. I think she strengthened the magic further. I was sure to smile at her even though the mark was far too troublesome.

The shells our merfolk ancestors gave us were made into jewelry. My father said that it was a protective charm. So really there was no need for the blessing on my head.

It's best not to complain and insult a powerful spirit.

The next year or two went on without much change, my language skills improved, I stopped needing diapers completely, Adros visited regularly and so did my mother's family. My father kept reading to me at night, on his birthday I would give him one hug. Any other day I was cold yet polite. My mother scolded me often for giving Draco the cold shoulder, he never complained. Draco knew what he had done.

I'm assuming that Flora had her child, I don't think my father ever met with her or the child. He seemed to truly love Celeste and wanted to forget his transgression. It made me feel bad for the kid, but there was little I could do about it.

Draco became busy working in the Capital and putting out King Theoderic's fires. Razul started to take over some of the duties in the Duchy. He was very capable and stone faced. So of course I had to follow him around to see if I could make him smile.

I brought Razul flowers, cakes, a ruby. Each time he took the gift and thanked me with a stiff bow. I became his little shadow.

Then I did the unthinkable, during a family dinner when my father was home I turned to Razul and asked him to marry me. My father spit half his drink out onto the nice tablecloth, Orion gaped at us, and my mother broke down in laughter.

Razul stared blankly, a blush creeped up and a slow beautiful smile lit up his dark blue eyes.

"Regretfully, I already have a fiance and would not part with her."

I pouted and kicked at the table "I love Razul."

My father buried his face in his hands, so did my mother, their shoulders shook for very different reasons.

"First loves rarely work out." Razul gently said.

I looked up at him with a sad face. "Can I still love Razul."

He nodded severely. "No one can control another's heart."

I pretended to think deeply for a time. Draco's reactions were amusing, and I was a precocious child and kids say the damndest things.