chapter 2

"Come on, let's go get a soda

"Come on, let's go get a soda."

~your p.o.v~

I hadn't slept at all during the drive. My body craved sleep, but my mind kept me awake. I couldn't stop thinking about what I had done.

The affects of the drugs had eventually wared off for June and we would take driving shifts. Even during the times that I had my feet kicked up on the dashboard as I lounged in the passenger seat, I was still never able to fall asleep. I couldn't help it, I just couldn't stop thinking about what happened.

"How long have we been on the road?" I asked. June took a second to answer, considering it.

"Probably around 16 or 17 hours now." She said, yawning.

It had felt like days.

-

We drove for a couple more hours when we saw a sign.

'WELCOME TO OKLAHOMA' it yelled in all caps.

"We aren't in Hollywood anymore." June spoke up, her eyes on the sign as I continued driving.

"We should probably stop here. No one will find us, right? Who would guess that we fled to Oklahoma?" June said. I shrugged.

"I guess so. We'll have to stay in a motel for now until we find a place. If I were you I'd start getting used to this place, because I don't know when we'll ever go back to a place like Hollywood." I recommended. June sighed.

"Everything will be different, won't it?"

"Well, that's usually what happens when you kill a famous director."

"Why couldn't we have just gone to the cops or something?" She questioned, starting to sound panicked again. My grip on the wheel tightened, but I kept my composer.

"Well, he was a celebrity. He was bigger than us and gave us our jobs. Besides, who would believe he tried to rape you? He's got millions of fans backing him up and you invited him in for drinks which immediately makes the story less believable. I hate that this is how things are, but we just don't have the proof. We could get thrown in jail for this."

June stayed silent. Soon I heard quiet sobbing next to me. I looked over at her, a sigh passing my lips.

"I'm sorry, Y/n. I can't believe I dragged you into this. It's all my fault!" She cried.

"It's not. Now calm down, because being hysterical won't do us any good. We're safe here, no one is gonna hurt us." I assured her, reaching my hand over and interlocking our fingers. She nodded, wiping her tears with her free hand.

We eventually found a motel in a place called Tulsa. It was a smaller city, nothing like what June and I were used to. It would work, though. It was less likely for people to recognize us.

-

We were wandering around Tulsa. We had changed into outfits that weren't as flashy as our other ones.

We had observed a couple people in the city as we were driving to the motel and picked up on the style. It seemed like most people dressed like greasers or rich kids.

We had packed clothing that seemed to fit the greaser style a bit more. That would help us blend in way more, because it'd be a stupid idea to dress as rich people when we were, in fact, rich people on the run.

June was not used to her outfit at first. She had put on a tight white T-shirt, jeans, black flats, and a leather jacket. It was outfits she'd only ever worn in movies when she played a greaser girl. She never expected to be living the part.

I had put on a pair of jeans, a sleeveless red blouse, and a pair of black converse. I had propped sunglasses up on my head in case I didn't want to deal with the sun.

"This town sure is small," June mumbled, her eyes flickering around at the people and her surroundings. It was obvious all of the tough looking boys made her feel uneasy. Especially after what happened back in Hollywood.

"You're safe, June. I've got your back." I mumbled to her, patting her shoulder although she was taller than me. (I made her 6'0 in this story because we love a tall legend)

"God, I shouldn't have worn a leather jacket in this weather." She groaned, fanning herself.

"Should've considered that then, girly." I joked and she rolled her eyes.

"Come on, let's go get a soda. There's a place right over there." She pointed across the street. My eyes followed her finger and my eyes landed on a place that was called the DX.

I shrugged. "I wouldn't mind some sodapop right around now."

We looked both ways and jogged across the street. Once we made it, we stepped inside the DX. June let out a relieved sigh as the air conditioned room enveloped her. I couldn't help but smile at her. At least she was still managing to find joy in the small things after everything that's happened to us.

June immediately began to make her way to the back of the DX where the sodas were. I followed behind her casually while she seemed like she was on a mission to get herself a refreshing beverage.

She grabbed herself a Fanta and my hand reached towards a Coca Cola.

Once we got our drinks, we went up to the front where a handsome boy was. He seemed to be an employee.

He saw us heading up to the counter and sent us a friendly smile. I swear with a smile like that, he could've been a celebrity himself.

"Hey ladies, how's your day been?" His voice was lighthearted and smooth. He seemed genuinely interested when it came to talking with customers.

"We're doing fine. How are you?" I answered, flashing a polite smile. I side glanced at June and she was giving him a welcoming smile as well.

"My day's been alright. Sure is nice to be in an air conditioned place during this weather." He made small talk and I nodded along.

He finished ringing up our sodas and put them back on the counter. As I was reaching for my drink, the boy stopped me.

"You look awful familiar. You been around here before?" He asked out of the blue. I felt my body tense, but I kept my cool.

"Oh, you might know us from mov-"

"We've stopped by before. We've been through Tulsa here and there, we travel a lot." I lied. June had almost given us away, and I couldn't risk giving away our identities right now.

June looked at me and secretly shot me an apologetic look. I gave her a reassuring smile.

"Oh, thought I'd seen you from somewhere. My name's Sodapop." The boy introduced himself and I didn't know if I heard him right.

"Sodapop? That's your name?" I tried to sound polite, although I was surprised. I was just curious if that was his real name. He thankfully understood that and chuckled.

"Yeah, that's my real name. Sodapop Curtis. I even got a little brother named Ponyboy."

"That's real unique. I like it."

He seemed to like the compliment I gave him, because another one of his movie star smile graced his features.

"Well, thank you. Will I see you around?" He asked the both of us. I shrugged.

"Maybe. It was nice talking to you. It'd be nice to see you again."

Before he could ask anymore questions, I made my way out of the DX with my drink, June following close behind.