Thirteen

(A/n: Heyy y'all!  This is basically all Doug's POV. I'm not sure if the flow of this chap makes sense or if I like it. Idk.... but here it is. Great/bad things to come.  It's long, grab your snacks! Enjoy!)

Reader's POV:

Lying down in the grass with the heat of the sun sinking into your soul, you watched Doug chop some wood in complete satisfaction.

He was shirtless, swinging the ax in an agile manner with no wasted movement. Sweat rolled down his shoulder as he shielded his eyes from the blinding rays with his hand. It really looked like he could use a break.

He had silently been at it for two hours. Even when you tried making convo, his mind seemed to be elsewhere. That's why you currently lie in the grass.

Maybe it was that dream. Well, nightmare... should I ask? Maybe.

Rolling on stomach, you stand to your feet and dust off. "Are you thirsty? I'm gonna grab a drink."

His neck cranks your way. "Sure. Anything is fine." He placed another log on the stump as you stood by.

Sighing, "Alright. Be back in a sec." While walking to the door you couldn't help but think he was too engrossed in wood cutting. It was time you get some attention now.

Gathering up two cups, you fill them with water and ate a few snacks standing in the fridge. Soon enough you headed back out, catching Doug sitting under the shade of the trees.

Walking up with the glass extended, "You look exhausted."

"Not the slightest. I'm just getting started." He accepts.

"But you've been at it for two hours. And honestly...this is plenty for a week." You motion to the wood with your head.

He peeked over, surprise dawning his face a bit. "That is a lot. I got carried away."

Sitting next to him, you lean your head on his shoulder a bit. "What's wrong? You can talk to me, you know." A single finger rims around the glass.

"I know..." Out of nowhere, he laid his head in your lap. "Do you really want to hear it though?"

Brushing a loc behind his ear, "Of course. I'll listen to whatever you have to say."

"Is that so?" His right-hand cups your cheek gently. As you nod in response he closes his eyes. "I'll tell you when I wake up."

Yanking his ears, "You can't just chop yourself out and then go to sleep. I need the remainder of your attention."

"I'm just resting my eyes."

Doug's hand dropped from your face, his fluttering lashes capturing your eyes--- almost as if he really was falling into a slumber.

Softly, "Don't go to sleep on me, Doug."

"Your lap is really soft." His breaths grow lighter, as his lips slightly part.

One end of your lip twist in a pointless manner. With him saying that kind of thing, you wouldn't very well disrupt the moment. His peaceful features on display in your lap was rewarding in itself.

You'd only allow him approximately twenty minutes though. After that, it's quality time, whether he likes it or not.

Gradually stroking his strands, you found yourself leaning down to kiss his forehead. The spot you kissed seemed to warm up quickly and his eyes cracked.

"What are you doing?" He deadpans.

"Warding off bad dreams." A smirk forms on your lips. "That's why you're so quiet, right?"