Chasing Her [10]

[A/N]: Ohmygosh, it's chapter ten. I'd just love to say thanks to all of my dedicated readers and fans! You guys are truly amazing and I love you all. This is such a big deal because I never thought that I'd ever really make it this far in a book with all the chapters being between 2-3 pages. :) Thanks so much again, and I hope you enjoy!

Chasing Her - Chapter Ten

Hazel Smithe

As the weekend passed by, I never touched the locket or dared to open it. It just sat there on my bedside table, glistening in the sun when it came through the big window that was placed above my headboard. My brothers didn't ask me where I got if from but I could see the curious look in their eyes as they stared at it when the came in to tell me dinner or lunch was ready.

I knew that they were probably still mad at me about keeping Brian a secret, but they deserved to know. Besides, I'd rather tell them first then them finding out from someone else. I just prayed to god that it wouldn't affect their friendship at all, I mean just because we're mates doesn't mean that Brian and them can't hang out. 

I sighed as I heard a knock on my door and got up to answer it. When I pulled the door back there stood Oliver, his hands in his jean pockets and no shirt on. His forehead was covered in sweat, along with his hair meaning that he probably came back from training.

"Hey." I said quietly after he didn't speak at all. I knew that things weren't the same between us anymore, we weren't as close as we used to be and now were barely spoke. It was the same way with Alden, but to tell the truth we were never that close.

"Hey..." He trailed out, his gaze looking behind me instead of at me. I turned around and I saw Alden, Michael and Jared messing around in the frontyard. I prayed to god that Brian wasn't here, but Oliver beat me to it. "He's not here.. He got all tense when we said we we're coming back and asked us to drop him off at his house." 

"Oh. Does he know you guys know?" I questioned, making my way back to my bed so he could come in. He walked in and shut the door behind him, leaning on it. He was still staring out the window while my eyes were locked on that stupid silver locket. 

"No, we were planning on crofronting him later." 

"Please don't say anything stupid or embarrassing." I said, staring into his dark brown eyes. Sometimes they appeared to be black, even when he wasn't mad. He had our father's eyes while Alden and I got our mother's. "And please please please don't tell him anything about the past. It's gone and I'd like it to stay that way." 

"I promise we won't. Now, where'd you get that locket from?" He finally asked. I knew that the curiousity was killing him.

"It was uhm.. a gift from.. uhm.. Evan." I stuttered out. He wouldn't think anything of it though, he just thought it was because I was going to cry. The truth was that after the dream I had about him killing Brian, I didn't feel as sad over his death as before. I managed to keep all my tears bottled up.

"What's inside?" Oliver never looked at me the whole time he spoke. I slowly reached out my hand and picked it up, holding it between my thumb and pointer finger. I sighed. 

"A picture of me and him." I didn't bother opening it, for I didn't really want to know what was on the inside. I set it back down and looked at Oliver. He sighed and walked towards the door.

"We're going to go talk to Brian now.." Oliver said before leaving. I sighed and flopped back onto my bed. Instead of sleeping I stared at the locket for about an hour before getting up and taking a shower. When I came out there was a note sitting next to it, but I didn't want to read it. I just hoped that whatever it said wasn't about something that was going to happen soon.