Chapter 1

The second book in Break Down the Walls series! 

I'm so excited to share it with you guys! Now, a little thing about this particular instalment: I really didn't follow the book's plot. I wanted to make it my own, so I switched a lot of things up. Hope you enjoy!

Chapter 1

Life is complicated.

It always was, since I was small. It all started in my tenth year when my father took a habit of beating my brother and I, when my mother died, and all I had was my sibling. And still, it got worse three years after that when he left me for another faction and all I had was my father, which really meant nothing. Then after that, I thought Tobias was dead for a good year and a half, and I was willing to join him for a while. Until finally, turns out he wasn't dead, and it was my life's mission to make sure I made it to Dauntless with him. I was not going to be a coward.

So I left my old life behind, the abuse, the pain, the grief, everything: and I made a new home. Here. In Dauntless. Everything went downhill from there.

I had a sadistic leader on my back doing everything in his possible will to destroy me and make me break. I had great friends that turned into terrible ones, and enemies that turned into cherished acquaintances, and best of all I was afraid of my own brother for a few days. What a nice life.

But things got better. I made up with my brother, made out with my boyfriend...but now it's gone to hell again.

My boyfriend's trying to kill me. And everyone else of my kind.

Divergent. It scared me to even think thought.

I keep my hand steady over my mouth as they continue talking to stifle my screams.

"Have you found any of them so far?" it's still Patch.
"No, but we will soon. Her simulations are having defects. I think it' s her brother trying to hide it." his voice sends shivers down my spine. My hands are trembling, my whole body is shaking. They know. They know I'm Divergent, they're just looking for signs, anything to incriminate me. What kind of sick trick is Patch pulling?

"When you do, tell me. I'm ready whenever you are." I can't believe Patch would do something like this. That those words could be uttered from his mouth...who am I to trust anymore? I can't even trust my own boyfriend. His arms were around me last night. He told me everything about himself; I spilled my life story to him. And now he's going to kill me?

"Keep distracting her. The less aware of everything, the better. I know her brother is going to do everything he can to separate the two of you, but keep luring her in."

The footsteps stop. "Yes sir." he says with an steady voice.
"Good. Now leave before anyone else sees you."

Eric walks away in a direction I can't see, a door swings open and shuts with a loud bang. The sound of Patch's footsteps are non-existant though, he seems rooted in place.

I can't believe any of it. I have to talk to him. I have to... I don't know. It's all too crazy. I feel like I should run away, but the stronger half of me propels me towards him, my anger taking over every other emotion.

I take calm footsteps away from my hiding spot and see that he's there. Just standing in the hallway, his head slightly bowed. I only see the back of him, his brown leather jacket, his black baggy pants and his boots. He's the only guys in this compound I've seen with a brown leather jacket, but I find it very Patch-like. If I weren't so worried, like my insides are being twisted by a fork, I would tell him it looked good on him. But I'm too enraged by the news I've just been delivered.