Chapter 40: The End is the Beginning

Warmth cocooned Kazimir as he stirred awake. Cold sweat drenched his shivering body as he sat up and gasped for air. He dreamed about demons rising from the depths of hell to destroy the world he once knew. He expected to find himself burning amid the flames.

Instead, he woke up in Emmett's bed. His face laid so close to his. Their noses almost brushed against each other. The gang leader's legs wrapped around Kazimir's torso. Emmett still snoozed soundly. Kazimir envied him for his peaceful dreams, where he didn't toss and turn to fight illusive demons.

Nightmares still haunted the artist. No matter how many drugs he took, he couldn't escape the darkness of his mind. He used cocaine to keep himself awake for as long as his body could tolerate it. Until he crashed from the inevitable lack of rest. Like last night.

Emmett had been sleeping a lot the past two days. His surgery went well, but Kazimir still worried about him. Kazimir couldn't abandon him. Something about Emmett made him believe him. The doctor highly recommended he get into a drug rehabilitation center, but Emmett refused. He didn't believe in rehab, claimed it was nothing but a scam to get money out of desperate families.

In spite of Barbara's warning, Kazimir didn't leave the gang leader's side. It was stupid to stay. Even when he was coked to his eyeballs, Kazimir knew that. Something about Emmett lured him in. Learning how the rebels had worked with Hank had felt like a punch to the gut. There was no doubt in his mind that they still hid things from him. Perhaps they all had some hideous secrets stowed away.

Brushing his fingers along Emmett's exposed arm, he sighed. Track marks covered his marred skin. Could he try to convince the gang leader to seek treatment? Could he get himself clean too? The doctor seemed really concerned about their condition and worried about how worse they might get. Kazimir wanted to help Emmett get better, but he wasn't sure if he was strong enough for that.

Kazimir couldn't help but touch the gangster's soft, pale cheek. He looked so sweet while sleeping, less menacing too. Emmett wriggled his nose in response to that, which Kazimir found to be adorable. He planted a gentle kiss on the gangster's lips before departing his cozy bed, preparing for the day ahead of them.

A cold draft greeted him in the bathroom when he went to relieve himself. He used a warm, damp cloth to rub the buggers from his bloodshot, baggy eyes.

"Kaz?" Emmett's groggy voice reached his ears as he stepped out of the bathroom.

"Yeah? You need something?" Kazimir asked.

Emmett sat up, yawning. "Did my folks ever drop by yesterday evening?"

Kazimir shook his head. "They didn't. Everly and Alfie did though."

Emmett reached over and checked his phone before setting it back down. He snuggled back under the blanket, covering most of his tousled blond hair.

"You good?" Kazimir crawled back into bed with Emmett, laying down on his stomach beside him.

"I just thought my mom would at least come check up on me," Emmett said. "Guess they don't give a rat's ass about me anymore. I could overdose out here and they'd forget to attend my funeral."

"You said your parents live in Nebraska, right?" Kazimir asked. "Maybe it's just taking them a while to get here. I'm sure they'll be here soon. Everly told me your mom's phone has been messing up lately. She's been meaning to get it fixed."

Emmett peeked his head out from under the blanket. "Really? So she's coming to visit?"

Kazimir scratched the back of his head. "I'm not sure. Everly kinda shut down when I asked what time y'all's folks would come by. I'm sure they will though."