Chapter 36: Undercover Artist

Kazimir loved visiting art galleries and admiring prominent artists' work.

His fascination with galleries started with the field trips his high school teacher, Mr. Lamphere, took his students on. They were some of the artist's favorite memories. While Kazimir was an outcast most of his life, nobody in his art class treated him that way. Nobody judged him. That's part of what made those trips so fun.

It was a dream come true for Kazimir to have people come to the art gallery and admire his own paintings. Yet, it brought back tragic memories from the night Hank was murdered too.

Thank goodness Fraser gave him access to enter through the back door. Kazimir peeked out the ginormous windowpane from inside the building. People surrounded the art gallery like ants. They held their handcrafted signs up with pride. Justice 4 Hank. Silence the Rebels. End the Vipers. Those were just a few of the nicer phrases they painted on their signs.

Kazimir tugged at the collar of his suit. It suffocated him. He took a few deep breaths to steel himself. There was no time to panic. He didn't get this far only to chicken out.

The art galley didn't flourish with many people tonight. He wondered if the protesters steered most of them away. Emmett had helped mount his paintings up, just like Jordy had done the first night he showcased his art there. His throat tightened at the thought of his roommate, who'd warned him to stay away from the gangs.

Jordy had to be worried about him. Knowing how dangerous the night might be, he neglected to tell Jordy about showcasing his works at the gallery again. He hoped his roommate wouldn't be too upset with him for not mentioning it. But he had to do this for Hank.

Revenge boiled in his blood. Hank's killer would be brought to justice, whether it was Snake Charmer or someone else.

"You good, sweetheart?" Emmett rested his hand on Kazimir's back.

"Yeah." Kazimir shoved his phone in his pocket. "I need to use the restroom. I'll be right back."

Emmett frowned. "You sure you're good?"

"Of course." Kazimir forced a weak smile. "We'll sneak away from here when I get back."

"Alright." Emmett went back to hanging the artist's paintings up.

Kazimir's heart pounded against his rib cage like it desired to leap out and fly away into the night sky. It echoed so loud, he was surprised nobody else noticed. None of the art buyers or artists paid attention to him. His trembling hand gripped the restroom door handle tight, until his knuckles whitened. He couldn't help but look back at Emmett, who continued placing his paintings.

The scent of lemons embraced him as the heavy door closed with a thud behind him. Dim lights flickered above the stalls. He faced the mirror, leaning up against the faucet as he took some deep breaths. Panic threatened to send him into an attack. He wasn't sure he could go through with the plan he'd brilliantly come up with. It was dangerous and there was no guarantee that they'd uncover anything at all.

Turning on the faucet, he splashed some cold water in his face. He couldn't be a coward now. The rebels would protect him if the vipers attacked. His priority was finding evidence on Hank's killer. Let them focus on stealing those precious drugs.

Kazimir stepped back into the gallery, holding his head up high. This place had to be the key to everything. If Hank dealt drugs for them, that meant there were others too. They just had to seek them out. Who would he start with? It wasn't like he could walk up and ask anyone if they secretly stashed illegal drugs in their artwork. Damaging their works to check inside the canvases came to mind, but he couldn't do that. Especially not to those who were innocent. He'd never forgive himself for ruining someone's craft.