Reminisce (Sachiko)

Sachiko breathed in the crisp night air. The gentle breeze brushed against her back as she approached the river. In her hands was an origami boat that she had crafted after her arrival at the site. The soft cream colors contrasted with the night environment.

Origami wasn't always such a meaningful hobby for Sachiko; she thought of it more as something to do to pass time. That was, until she adopted Taro. When Sachiko took home the little white kitten, he seemed uninterested in his new environment. Taro was lethargic, much like a senior cat and would laze around often. He always walked towards his food slowly and took his time to eat. He preferred to sunbathe next to the window instead of playing with the toys Sachiko bought for him. There was nothing in Taro's behavior that suggested that he was a kitten.

When Sachiko started to work at home and had a lot of small breaks, she took up origami to keep herself occupied. The vibrant colors and variety of shapes piqued Taro's interest enough that he watched Sachiko with anticipation whenever she brought out the papers. Whenever Sachiko set down the completed crafts, Taro would paw at them as if he was playing with a toy. The cat even took them to his bed as company during his naps. This continued even to his senior years.

The breeze from the chilly air snapped Sachiko out of her reverie. She set down the paper boat on the edge of the river, letting the winds take it away. The boat drifted gradually until the darkness of night engulfed it from sight. Sachiko waved goodbye, remembering Taro pawing at an origami cat before he closed his eyes for the last time.