That Day (Anon & Kanon)

Everything had happened so quickly that day, as though it were a fleeting dream.

Kanon and I got on the public bus after school to go grocery shopping. There weren't many people on the bus at that time, aside from a few elderly folks. Kanon was reading a book while I took the opportunity to nap.

I don't know how long I had slept. I suddenly awoke to screams. The engine had stopped, and the bus's back door looked as if it were forced open from inside.

"Stop right there, thief!" Kanon shouted as she dashed through the broken door.

When I came to, I went over to help an old lady who had fallen on her knees. She said that a man had gotten on the bus and snatched her purse. I grabbed my phone out from my bag, ready to call the police. Then, a scream from a familiar voice filled the air.

I rushed off the bus. At the end of the block was a figure with distinct orange hair laying on the ground.

It couldn't be...

Please...no...

I ran over and kneeled so abruptly that my knees scraped. In front of me, Kanon laid bloody and bruised. She weakly clutched a white purse in one hand, away from her gaping wounds.

"Everything..s'okay..." Kanon muttered as I held her free hand.

"Please, save your breath. The police will be here soon." My hands trembled as much as my voice.

Kanon smiled. "Anon...for her..." She let go of the purse.

Sirens echoed in the distance. Lights flashed in my periphery. Her hand went limp.

I woke up with Kanon's obituary slipping out of my hand.