Deciphering the paper

David's point of view:

  Well, the chances of us having an adventure had actually increased tenfold. An ordinary trip to explore the forest had turned in to a chase, and a game of hide and seek. And now me, Ronan and Ibrahim were heading back to the house in the absolute darkness of the late night.

  I just hoped my parents were not worrying too much about us. I didn't have a watch, but I was pretty sure that it was getting close to midnight.

Speaking of which, I would have some explaining to do to them.

  But that's ok, because they are pretty lax with us. They know that they can trust me to take care of everyone if we ever got in to a fix.

  Mom and Dad could help us with the paper too, they could clear up this mystery of the numbers and letters and maybe, just maybe, they'd tell us something exciting.

A couple of blocks passed, and soon my house came in to view.

At last

  I turned the doorknob, and we shuffled in quietly through the doorway, careful not to disturb anyone. All the lights were off, that meant my parents were asleep.

That was good, I was too tired to explain anything at the moment anyway.

  Everyone went in to the bedroom while I went to change in to my night clothes. When I was done, Ronan went in to change.

  I went in to the bedroom to see Ben already sleeping on the top part of his bunk bed. He hadn't even changed.

Typical Ben

  Charlie was also passed out cold on the mattress. It seemed all that had happened had been very exhausting for him, and indeed, it had been.

  I flopped down on to my mattress and buried my face in my pillow, enjoying it's cool softness. I instantly relaxed and my breathing soon went from moderate, quick breaths to slow, deep breaths.

  Making the effort, I pulled the covers over myself and covered myself almost completely to shut out the outside light and cold.

  I heard Ronan enter the room a minute later, and I asked him to shut off the lights, which he did after delivering a funny comment about our laziness. I heard the sound of him laying down and adjusting himself in to a comfortable position on his bed.

And then silence

  Sleep didn't come to me though, even though it seemed to have come to all the others. And so I just lay awake, replaying the events of the day, replaying them over and over, and over again. But no matter how much I thought about it, I just couldn't think of what the symbols on the paper meant.

What could they mean?

Just, what could they possibly mean?

The answer seemed like it was so simple, and yet...I simply couldn't grasp it

What does it mean?

Guess I'd just have to wait to find out. Hopefully my parents could help.

I'm confident they will, they know so much. They'll be able to..to.....

And like that I was out like a light.

***

"David? David?"

"Mmm, yes?" I responded in a sleepy voice.

"I was so worried something had happened. Why did you come back so late?" asked my mom.

  "Mmm, I'm very sorry to have gotten you worried mom." I apologized, trying my best to open my eyes.

  She sighed, and then pulled me in to a warm embrace. "Oh well, I'm just happy that everyone is alright, but please don't do this again, okay?"